Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dear Abbey, we're auditioning drummers.....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    ....and a few of them have come down to meet us at a gig. We're holding audtioins next week, and have about 15 drummers slotted into a very tight 20 minute each schedule.

We screened everyone on the phone and feel we did a good job this time. Last night one of the guys showed up at a gig. He told us he was 40ish yrs old, but looked really young. We're happy to know lots of guys who fit this description - and I hate to sound trite, but we really do want someone who fits the vibe and looks of the band. You can check out our site below for an idea if of what I"m talking about. Anyhow, this guy's clearly in his late forties, and looks like he could be my father. He was a nice guy and might be a great drummer, but we're not going to use him. Please don't flame me on an "age" thing here - we have a lot of good reasons for our deciding to go with a younger looking guy.

Anyhow - our slight dilemma. The drummer is slotted into an audition spot. Do we waste his time and ours and have him come down - or do we tell him we don't think he looks right for the band? I personally would prefer if a band called me and said, "dude, you don't have the look we want." But I don't know if everyone else feels the same. I've gone on a couple of auditions where I knew they made their decision before I even opened my mouth, and I didn't like it.

What would you do, and if you chose to cancel his audition how would you word it. Thanks.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well this has happend to me a few times and I have been really annoyed about it and moaned to friends for days afterwards - I hated it!!

I suppose if a band is so shallow that they are going to turn somebody down for their "look" then I suppose I wouldn't want to be involved in it anyway - well that's how I consoled myself anyway!! :mad:

3. Try the dude out, maybe he'll change your mind.

Besides, he's a drummer..no one's ever really going to be able to see him :D

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    yas just can't help yerselves can yas?

in certain (not all) situations, looks matter whether you'd like to believe that or not. if al lewis was the bassist for the beatles I don't believe they'd have shared the same success.

i notice some people here seem to post mostly angry or sarcastic responses. i'm sorry for those whom that applies to.

5. As a 43 year old drummer, I’ve got to tell that you are not doing yourselves any favors by worrying about this man’s “look”. With that amount of experience he might give you the musical anchor that can let you younger dudes take your playing to the next level. He also might suck. The point is, you’ll never know. If you just worry about the look of the players you audition, you’ve automatically eliminated a part of the pool before you’ve heard them play a note.

Are you into image or music?

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If your minds are made up, I'd just lay the responsibility of canceling his audition on whomever set him up for an audition in the first place. I might approach it as you're sorry to cancel his audition but you're pretty sure you already have the drummer you want, (the implication being, "And it ain't you."). Just don't burn your bridges with him. IME, you never know in this biz when you might need/want something he or one of his friends can do for you.

Just don't waste his time. I'm sort of in the same position he is and I would pull myself out any audition beforehand if I knew the band was that superficial and that the music was such a low priority.

Personally, I don't see the big deal since a drummer is practically hidden by their kit. But that's your call. Some bands would turn away Jeff Berlin and prefer to see if they could get someone like Pig Benis (Mushroomhead) because he has the "image" :D

[​IMG]

7. If this is your current guy, I couldn't tell if he was 25 or 55......

[​IMG]