Dear Abby, part 2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by secretdonkey, Feb 28, 2003.

1. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Dear Abby,

Another question for you. I know there are folks out there who don't have a band at all to play with, but I'm a whiny little ***** who's unsatisfied with his current band. I made a list of musician want ads for bassists, compiled from three local boards. I've excluded those that I've looked into already, and one for a Christian band, since I'm not one. Here are the rest:

• Hello, we're a new band with a sound along the lines of a bastardized Incubus, System of a Down, and Sum 41 child on crack.
    • Looking for ages 18-25 with a few years experience and can pick up easy. ... Light to heavy alternative. (Incubus to Chevelle)
    • We write our own music and play an alternative style. ages 18-25 or so.
    • I am looking to form a new band, based on a melodic hard rock form of music.
    • Our influences are vast but they include Alternative music, Hard Rock, and Metal.
    • I am looking for talented serious musicians interested in forming an original melodic heavy band. Age: 18-25 (or so)

By the way, I'm 35 and I like most styles of music except for heavy/hard modern rock. Which one of these ads should I pursue? Thanks in advance for your help!

-Overwhelmed by choices in TX
  2. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I once thought about using Nachos Bellgrande as a stage name... :eek:
  3. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I'd be most interested in those who mention 'hard rock' - first reason being they don't mention any (artificial) age limits.

Also, put up your own ads. You'd be surprised how many bands are looking for a bassist.
  4. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Experienced Bassist Available

Looking for a working band. No hard rock/metal, please.

My ad. I've been waiting to be surpised. Thanks for your thoughts, though. :)
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Damn, I thought this was going to be a John Prine thread :meh:
  6. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    I'd say ads 4 and 5 fit you the best according to what you've told us.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    -that is a damn good stage name! those are the ads I see up here too. that and people who want to show off. I feigned ignorance and ineptitude a few weeks ago to get off the phone with a guy whose mission in life seemed to be to impress me with his skill at playing in odd time signatures. I said something like, "well, I can't play that stuff that you want, when should we jam?" It was sort of funny actually. :rolleyes:
  8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My stage name is Thor.

I never meant to get a stage name, but it happened kinda accidentally when my band was announcing that it was kicking out its old bassist and using me.

To keep the identity of the new bassist a suprise, they said I was a 45 year old 6'11" guy named Thor.

When I was out with the band or around people who were pretty sure I was the new guy they just started calling me Thor.

Funny little story eh?