Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dear god please help me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mothmonsterman, Feb 8, 2006.

1. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    Alright i hope somebody can help me,
    I have an Ampeg B4-R, but there is a problem a few practices ago it would hum almost as if it was feeding back and the peak light would be contantly on (gain is set as it should) and i had to turn it off then on again to fix the problem. Now last night at practice i was getting no peak (light), no limit (light),unless i cranked the knobs. Also it wasn't putting out much tone/sound all together. the type of sound i was getting was that of a really crappy practice amp with an overdrive pedal. Anyone have any idea whats the pill for my sick amp?

I'm mono-bridging it through an SWR Goliath Sr.

And yes time is of the essance.:bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

2. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    well can somebody at give me a hint, is it the cab or the head?

3. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Head.

4. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I'm no tech, but I would guess you've fried something. Active bass by chance? Go see a tech and hope for a warranty claim.

5. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    no warranty= big no, Ebay purchase.
    Active bass = very yes, but i barely boost the preamp.

6. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    How old is the amp? If it is less than 5 years old and you can get the original receipt from the seller, the warranty is still good. Double check all connections and cables, hopefully its something simple.

7. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Trace your signal from bass to speaker. Replace each component one at a time with something else (borrow from someone else if needed).

Checklist...
    Check the battery in your active bass 1st.
    Try a differing cord from instrument to head.
    Try another head.
    Try a different speaker cable from head to cab (you are using a speaker cable and not an instrument cable from head to cab right?).
    Try a different cabinet.

The step that sees the problem gone is the step that removed the faulty peice from the equation. If you are using any effects, drop them for this test.

PS: It does sound like you head from what you've said though.

8. mothmonsterman

mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    well thanks for your help, I'm going to take it in, hopefully today. I changed out all cables, bass and cables = very fine. i believe it's the head and if they can't fix it i'll buy a new head, and i'll get out my volt metters and try to troubleshoot it. But still i'm very depressed.