Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dear God Why? (EHX annoyance)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jammadave, Jan 20, 2005.

1. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    hey all:

I just today got my ordered QTron+ and I love the sound I've come up with using it. BUT, the light doesn't switch on and off with the effect. I know it's a minor niggle, but it's likely just enough to make me go "next!" -

So, 1. Anybody want a BRAND NEW Qtron+, who doesn't care about such technicalities?

And 2. where else (pedalwise) shall I find this sound?: It's a down-drive with just a little saturation to it, reminds me of the synthbass sound toward the latter sections of "Eye" by Smashing Pumpkins, only just a little cleaner. I'd rather have something envelope-based, and not synth-based, I've tried the Deep Impact and such already, and this Q I guess I got lucky with. I had a BassIQ before, but I remember it being a little too clean for this.

2. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's just a lightbulb, man. Replace it.

3. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Dave, correcting the non-working LED should be pretty easy. It's possible that the wiring for the LED is dodgy, that the switch itself is not 100% functional, or that the LED itself is not working (unlikely, in my experience). Why don't you open it up and sneak a peek? If you love the sound, it's probably best just to fix the LED; and it's certainly cooler than finding a pedal with a LED that works and a sound that doesn't satisfy!

Mike

4. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    wait, wait, from what I've read (and never knew before) - it sounds like the US EHX true bypass pedals are SUPPOSED to work this way (no on/off of the light) - is that not the case?

Trust me, if it's a malfunction then I'm contacting EHX for a repair or replace.

but if it's "a feature, not a bug" then I think I'll pass. Heh, haven't even tried to get this big guy on the pedalboard yet.

5. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Oh ... yeah! Oops! Does the light just come on when you plug the power in? The last Q-tron I had the LED acted just as a power indicator, I think .... ahhhh ... RTFM??? :D

Mike

6. jammadave

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    just for power, from what I can tell =0( No mention of it in the manual, and I read it twice in a row to be sure.

7. mikeboth

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Any decent tech should be able to a) install a 3PDT switch or b) a small and simple circuit (RG Keens' Millenium Bypass or Jack Orman's Triple Bypass) to then utilise the LED as an engaged/bypassed indicator.

Mike

8. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Color me IMPRESSED!.. Good call!...

cheers

Alex

9. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI

Just a heads up, I'm selling an EH Tube Zipper that does what I think you're looking for. Envelope based with plent of tube saturation to spare...