1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

dear in the head lights

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by 2behead, Aug 22, 2012.

1. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    So I played worst set of my life a while ago. Luckily there was a blues festival and several other gigs going on that night so the crowd was pretty small. Guitarist and I had major tuning issues. I don't use a tuner and have never needed to. Played bass for 18 years and it has never bitten me in the arse. Well, there is a first time for everything. We were super stiff and flat as a result...... no stage show. God it was a nightmare. At points we each almost left the stage. The next day I ordered a tuner. What did I take from if. Take the time to stop and make sure everything is good before you start the next song!!! We all knew this but we all panicked. Any how, for your viewing pleasure.............. the worst gig of my life!!! hahahahah enjoy.

2. Dear 2beheat:

Always tune to one other player at least so that you have the remaining guy to blame for screwing up the set. If two or more players are in tune to each other, you have the majority and the odd guy out is always wrong.

Works every time - but then again, I use my Korg 'Cylon-eye' tuner all the time so I know I'm in tune.

Next time buy a guitar that is already tuned so you won't have to be embarrassed again.

3. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Unless you've got perfect pitch, not using a tuner or tuning to another player (best choice is a keyboard) is musical suicide.

4. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    Prefect pitch, no But I do have very good relative pitch. Like I said. 18 years of gigs and this has never happened. Pretty funny actually. What happened was I listened to our guitarist setting up and just tuned to that. Checked once more and went to take a leek and grab a drink for the stage. While I was gone he tuned his guitar. He was about a 1/2 step out. It was just panic on all counts. I played the first song up a half step and hastily tuned down after that. Then it was the tweak it while playing for the rest of the set. It was bad. First time for everything. I bought a tuner and this will never happen again.

5. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I actually had two incidents like this:

First was my first time on stage. Forgot my tuner. Guitar player, my brother, said just go on stage anyway and we will tune as we play. You can imagine how that went. Got E and A to some relatively good pitch. G and D were way off. Really sucked. Always carry two tuners now.

Second was a gig a few years ago when the band leader, who usually plays a solo act for kids invited the band to back him on a couple of songs during a kids show. He told me emphatically that I am not supposed to take a rig on stage with me. It would take to long to set up and their would be full monitor support from the PA provider. He restated this several times. Anyway I showed up at the gig with just a bass. He yells at me for not bringing a monitoring amp. We get on stage. The sound guy hands me a DI. Of course there are only two 10" monitors down-center of a 24'x16' angled into the main mic. I have little chance of hearing it. Then he calls out the tune, which I can barely hear. All I could hear was bass rolling off the FOH. Also I can see what chords he is playing because I am up-right stage. In the middle of the second song, he breaks a string so his guitar goes out of tune. I stopped playing.

When we get off stage. He says to the group: "Jeez I've haven't broken a string in 15 years. I can't believe that happened." I asked how old the strings are. He says with a confused look on his face , "Like I said I haven't broken a string in 15 years, so they are 15 years old." Check it, this guy has been playing professionally for 20 years. He called me about another date a week later. I declined.

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Your drummer is good. Solid as all get out and not flashy.

7. OOZMAN

OOZMAN

Jun 16, 2010
    Australia
    how the hell do you not use a tuner for 18 years? how do you... uhh... get in tune?

8. williamk

williamk

Apr 2, 2008
    relative pitch helps you in no way to tune your bass. it might make sure that all 4 strings are in tune with each other, but without the "real" notes, that doesn't matter...you still won't be tuned with the other bandmates.

9. s4001

s4001

Feb 2, 2009
    "I don't use a tuner and have never needed to. Played bass for 18 years... "

:bag:

10. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    I use a tuner - every 30 minutes.

11. Demon_Hunter

Demon_Hunter

Jun 8, 2008
    Not using a tuner?!?!? :eyebrow: :rollno::eek:

sorry, but that's just dumb.

12. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    I'm astonished that some of you are baffled at my lack of needing a tuner this whole time. There are LOTS of ways to tune with out one. lets see. There is the old "Give me your A string", If you close your eyes and picture a dial tone that is a A, For whom the bell tolls is in E minor then there is the house music that plays before you go on that you can check against. Yes I have to tune with our guitarist but that is not a big deal. My bass holds it's tune pretty well, like if I hang it up and don't touch it for a few weeks it's right on. Most of the time at rehearsals we are in tune right out of the gate.

Fenderhutz--- Ya our drummer is pretty soled. I have been spoiled as far as drummers go. Right out of the gate at 16 my first drummer was solid. he was 15 and had taken jazz lessons for a few years. Next drummer sucked. one after that was a animal, next one was even better. He had been playing jazz, country,and rock since age 6 and was 25. He was amazing. He could keep the kick on time and play everything else out of time just to mess with you and then come right back in where he was supposed to. the drummer I have played with the most was just about as good as our drummer now so I take it for granted. like that is the baseline. :) this was a train wreck of a set but that being said. I have seen lots worse and the bands seemed totally fine with it.

13. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Yup that's the worst, knowing your messing up or out of tune in the middle of the song and having to fake being into it and excited lol

14. First song, first set, first gig ever. We all tuned up with a tuner the lead player just bought, before starting. Right off the bat, "Walk of Life" sounds off. I played the keyboard (a cheap Casio unit) part, as well as bass. I start off, and all sounded good, but as soon as the guitars came in, everything went south. I quickly adapted as best I could, and we finished off the song. At break, everybody asked me what happened. I had no clue, as it always sounded right at practice. Turns out, we'd always tuned to the keyboard, and it was 1/2 step down from standard. :eek:
    We tuned to the keyboard after that, until I managed to adjust it.

15. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    The bass player in the video is not older than thirty, and you say you have played for 18 years. And you say no Tuner for 18 years.

are you sure your not trying to get talkbass just to watch your band video? with 65 views...and your views tripled since yesterday?

Not using a tuner for 18 years...The only pedal that's guaranteed to make you sound better. nice bait. I bit, I spit.

16. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    It was salvagable, not a total trainwreck. Your singer definitley looks nonplussed with the way she's swilling her beer.

17. themarshall

themarshall

Jun 26, 2008
    cochrane wi
    Thats "deer" as in Bambi, not "dear" as in Abby.

18. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    there may be other ways to tune your instrument, but to me they make a person look like an amateur and has no business being onstage. theres no excuse for not having a tuner. i cant stand hearing someone tune up onstage. 18 years of not using one, im surprised it didnt happen sooner, you were very lucky, but you were asking for it.

19. deer-in-headlights-e1296718310681.

20. 2behead

2behead

Mar 8, 2011
    portland
    Well I'm the bass player. I'm 34 born in 1979. started playing at 16. I look younger than I am. This was not bait to show off my band. If it was I would have used a decent video clip. A guy around town recorded the whole show and as far as I know he just uploaded it a few days ago. If this was for exposure I would have linked our fan page.