Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dear Mike

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by mrmojo, Apr 3, 2005.

1. mrmojo

mrmojo

Apr 3, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    Dear Mike,
    I'm hoping I can get an opinion regarding buying a bass rig. What I would specifically like to get is your opinion on the type (Wattage) cabinet/speakers and a decent head type. This would be used for loud rock gigs for bars etc. Would you suggest used? This would be my first rig and I can't blow $2000.

Thanks,
    Mojo Alfiero

2. slinkp

slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Well, what CAN you spend? That'd give us a better idea what to reasonably suggest.

I've mostly bought used gear. In general, I think it's a good idea for a first rig or any time you're not totally sure what you want.
    If you were a touring pro and needed something reliable to take on tour with you next week, that would be a whole different story. As it is you probably have some time to experiment and learn what you like.

But realize that there is a bit more of a risk of the gear failing on you, and a MUCh higher risk of getting outright ripped off especially if you buy online. I once paid $400 on ebay for a bass that turned out to be
    basically firewood. Lesson learned. ALWAYS ask the seller every question that occurs to you, and SCRUTINIZE their feedback. Don't bid unless and until you're satisfied. Don't bid more than you'd be willing to risk if it turns out to be junk.

As for reliability, I don't gig a lot so I'm not the best to ask there.
    If I toured like Watt it'd be a different story. I'd then be more inclined to buy new and/or have used gear thoroughly worked over by a good tech.

3. mrmojo

mrmojo

Apr 3, 2005
    Portland, Maine
    Thanks. I'll be more specific.
    I know folks that buy used equipment online but I'm not down with that.
    I'll most likely comb the local stores for somethin'.

I'll sum my situation up. I've been an active drummer since I was 10 and I play bass and guitar as well. I've been thumpin' bass in a group lately and we're at the point of playing live. I've been using a jam space "community" rig and I'm not really impressed. It has no balls.

I know nothing about speakers types, sizes, wattage,brands or models so I need some rockers of thud to enlighten me.

I'll be hittin' smaller size gigs primarily on the weekends.