Dear MXR company ...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fasto, Oct 29, 2011.

1. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    ... thanks for showing us bass players lots of love lately. I really dig the label "bass innovations" on your newest pedals.

The new bass compressor and the bass envelope filter are sure 2 homeruns that i know of ... i´m sure the up-coming bass fuzz deluxe will be another one.

To my point:

Why don´t you go for a (B)ASS kicking multi-fx-unit including:

- M87 bass compressor
    - M288 bass octave deluxe
    - M82 bass envelope filter
    - M169 carbon copy analoge delay
    - Mxxx bass fuzz deluxe

etc. (what else would make sense?)

2. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    My opinion: Multi-FX are typically digital, whereas most of these effects are great because of their analog signal path. Making an analog multi-FX unit would be expensive, impractically large and probably too specific/not flexible enough to market.

3. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    yes, i meant an analoge fx unit. kind of all analoge pedals in one enclosure.

4. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Would be cool, but considering I bought my Bass Octave D used for $100, and I'd assume those 5 carry a hefty price tag each new, the fact is that no one would spend $600-800 on an analog MXR multi-effect, and MXR doesnt want to sell their awesome line of effects all together at 1/3-1/4 the price of individual. What I really dig about this line is how small and form-fitting they are, the modularity it gives your pedalboard make me GAS to try the others just for kicks. So outside of BOD, what others do you suggest?

5. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    The Chunk Systems Octavius Squeezer is essentially 3 analog effects, controlled digitally, in a very smal footprint. The SansAmp BDDI Programmable also comes to mind as a digitally voltage-controlled analog effect. It's not out of the question as a concept...
    Whether it's worth the RD and Marketing at this point for them, or whether it would sell....

6. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I like the idea of an analog multi effects unit.
    As noted before, I think that all units of that style are digital. I think to really work it would either have to be a great selection of effects which is hard to do because we all use different things or an a la carte custom program.
    You order your unit with the selection of your choice and they build it. Would be expensive for sure, kind of a pre-wired pedal board ready to go.

Interesting concept. Nevertheless.

7. drewfx

drewfx

May 14, 2009
    Many years ago, Ibanez made several floor and rack mount analog multi effects units, including the UE 303B for bass:

ibanez_ue303b_001.jpg

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I always liked those Ibanez ones, I've had four different models. They're not up to today's standards for low noise or other qualities, but for their time they were great. Korg, Yamaha, Peavey, and a few other brands made similar units, multiple "single pedal" modules mounted together in one floorboard. Then there's the more recent Foxrox Captain Coconut and the Carl Martin Quattro.

Basically these seem great on paper, three or four great analog effects in one box, but historically they have not done well in the market. It's a lot of money to shell out in one go, especially considering how fickle people are about one pedal or another on their board. Not a great investment from a manufacturing standpoint.

9. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    right to the point! (punctuation and editing by The BurgerMeister.) i'd much rather have the option of changing out effects as i see fit. i might be in love with 90% of what any given multi might do... for the moment. the next moment, i might only like 10% of what that same multi does. which would leave me with having to decide to either lug around a multi for one effect, or get a single pedal that gets me the same sound.

multis, historically, tend to be fads.

10. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    You could always re-case the pedals you want in a new single, large enclosure

11. Sounds like this guy needs a Pedaltrain Nano. Much better than a multi cause you swap out pedals when the new flavor of the month comes out.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021