Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dear Prudence

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by relman, Apr 22, 2002.

1. So besides this song being incredible in itself, the bassline is just amazing...i want to know what equipment did he use on this track...

so far i've discarded the possibility of it being a ric...it sounds like the Hofner through a Vox but it COULD be a fender Jazz (though i doubt it)...any ideas?

2. That's one of my favourite bass tones ever.

Neck pickup, roll off highs, place mute on strings, play with fingers near the neck pickup. That's about as close as I can get.

Great song, too.

3. Dear Prudence reeks of Rickenbacker to me... gotta have that vintage toaster pickup... doesn't quite work with my 4003 - closet approximation I can get is both pickups selected, with the treble pickup rolled off slightly... tone controls a half-turn open, fingerstyle near the neck pickup. It would probably help to have flatwounds - I could open the tone controls more and get more of the "attack"

--jeff

4. on the version on the White Album, it sounds like he was playing fingerstyle or with his thumb for most of the song, and switched to using a pick at the end- the "click" is audible there.

5. The "click" is another instrument I think... notice the click always has a certain tone associated with it, and it's always the same tone.

I think he's playing fingers all the way through.

--jeff

6. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    It's definately a Ric, Paul was pretty much using them exclusively by the time they recorded the White Album.

His Hofner was put in it's case and left their until sometime in the 80's when Paul was producing a record for Elvis Costello... Apparently Mr. Costello wanted Paul to play bass on a song(s) and wanted him to use the Hofner. When they opened the case, Paul's setlist from the Candlestick Park gig was still taped to the back of the bass.