Dear Squier

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GodPlayedBass, Apr 29, 2021.

1. I know im a 90s kid so maybe idk what im talking about but WHERES THE 80s CLASSIC VIBE BASS?!?!

Im excited for the upcoming affinity jaguar but theres already a squier jaguar bass.

(Yes I know they dont read these, im ranting)

2. There’s nothing “Classic” about 80’s basses...

P Cheen, Mvilmany, Astronaut and 21 others like this.
  3. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    San Diego, CA
    Disagree. Profoundly.

Fender has a gold mine of 1980s, mostly Japanese, AWESOME basses I’d love to see reissued. Performer. Elite. Jazz Bass Special. I could go on. Would love to see those and would have some actual interest in buying some, unlike the 50s and 60s stuff (which I was not alive for the first go-round of and have no connection to).

4. IF I were Fender, I'd have Squier marketing like this:

1) Fewer, but very good, issues of their 'Classic Vibe' axes.

2) Revisit 'other' reissues a little off the beaten path, like the 80's axes arbiterusa mentions above.

3) Use it as a feeler for possible future Fender-branded instruments: The current Contemporary Active Jazz Basses have no dopelganger in the Fender lineup, and they're fabulous. Fine-tune that design as a 'real' Fender, and they'd sell like hotcakes and a completely new instrument for that label.

Griev, gunai, BBassBassington and 9 others like this.
  5. See, once again TB doesn’t read deeply enough into what I write. The word in quotes - CLASSIC - doesn’t really represent the 80’s so much as the 60s and 70s.
    The 80s were also a weird time for Fender, CBS ending its ownership and a factory move.
    People seem to really love the 62 Reissue basses they did once CBS was gone...but those are “Classic Reissues”...
    Sure, they put out some interesting instruments, but they aren’t deemed “classic” by the masses.

Fender already reissued the Elite name a couple years ago...

I think Fender Japan has always been doing it’s own thing and pushing the envelope with basses like the original Boxer P. Not sure if you’ll ever see that reissued...

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    FishDub and DrMole like this.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Some of the early 80s MIJ Squiers were quite well regarded. You could have a Classic Vibe Squier of an 80s Squier :D

7. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Maybe they haven't come out with them because it would encourage people to play '80s rock.

8. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    That's how I feel about the new Squier guitars coming out with roasted maple necks. That new contemporary telecaster RH (neck humbucker/bridge rail humbucker) looks amazing. I wish they made a Fender version.

BBassBassington and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    The 1980s were 40 years ago. It’s ok to call that classic.
    I’d love to see them revisit the Kubicki era Fenders.

10. CallMeAl

CallMeAl Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Ithaca Ny
    jazz bass special in a Squier price point would be dope!

11. Ampslut

Ampslut Supporting Member

May 15, 2017
    The 80's bass guitars were more about Rics, Steinbergers, Jacksons, Ibanez, Peavey, Music Man etc. New Fenders were not really in the mix in those days. I was playing 3 to 5 nights a wk back in the 80's and played Peavey and Ibanez. I had an older Fender P but it just didn't have the sound I wanted for the type of music I was playing.

Iristone, tvbop, DrMole and 3 others like this.
  12. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    Squier should do a reissue of the Bullet Bass (B34).

13. WHERE ARE THE SQUIER PERFORMER BASS

seriously

PWRL and DJ Bebop like this.
  14. tb-player

tb-player Gold Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2019
    I remember the 80s. Sting played a white Spector. Everyone else played headless Steinbergers. I played a Fender Jazz Bass Special, but no one seemed to notice... lol.

Either way, I’m digging my CV Jaguar. I’m not sure what decade it represents, but it sure plays nice.

DJ Bebop, ruju and GodPlayedBass like this.
  15. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I think Fender should re-issue exactly what their factory in the USA was making in the 80's!!!

Oh, wait, they weren't making anything for a few years there.

Never mind

16. Matt O

Matt O

Feb 19, 2013
    The Mitten
    Who could forget the Katana? Fender Squier’s effort in the 80s to prevent playing bass while seated.

9C39FE04-9276-410C-8023-363F37E4BD97.jpeg

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

That’s essentially what they did initially with the CV and VM line. The early run CV’s (and even the “Duncan Designed” equipped VM’s) were truly great basses. I’d just like to see a return to the quality of that initial run.

18. Craig Orndorff

Craig Orndorff Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2021
    I feel like a Katana reissue would do well, if only just because.....but other than that, when I think 80s, I don’t think Fender/Squier.

19. _LowEndTheorist

_LowEndTheorist

Jan 3, 2021
    Imagine Squier version of Duff McKagan’s Jazz bass. PJ config, black headstock, no pickguard... That’s how I imagine 80’s Classic Vibe J-bass (or P-bass?)

20. 350125g0

350125g0

Mar 4, 2020
    Maybe, instead of "classic" stuff that's been done, and done, and then done again, they could start offering something kind of new and interesting?

Give us another crack at the Rascal Bass, perhaps? Maybe even give us a Duo-Sonic bass? What would that look like? I dunno, but for the love of all that's unholy, do something INTERESTING AND DIFFERENT for a change.

PennyroyalWe, gln1955 and DJ Bebop like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021