1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dear TB's Agony Aunts:

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Steph Dawe, Mar 28, 2006.

1. So.

I'm meeting a guy for lunch tomorrow. Just a casual thing. We know each other from a freshman camp we went on about a month or so ago, maybe a bit longer than that. We're just aquaintances at the moment, but I would like to get to know him better - he's a bright, friendly guy, and someone who I think I'd get along well with.

And I think I'm interested. Well, ok. If I'm just thinking I am, then I wouldn't have wanted to make plans, would I? Silly Steph.

The crux of my post is: is there some kind of lunch date etiquette? What do and don't I talk about? Are there things I should avoid eating? I wish not to be remembered as the girl who spills her food everywhere.

Also, I ask TB's agony aunts because I'm interested in a guy's interpretation of "hey, wanna meet up for lunch sometime?". Threads like "omg i lyke this gurl" are common to a male majority board like this one and are thusly not helpful to me, because I'm not dating a woman, and even if I were, I wouldn't have to ask how a woman thinks because I am one, surprisingly enough, and this sentence is way too long. I'd like to know what you guys think*.

* I always ask that question - you'd think I'd learn, huh.

2. I don't think there is any 'rules' for girls, on the other hand. I could dictate a set of rules for guys on the typical lunch date.

Go and have fun, that should be enough.

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Step 1 - drop the funny accent

bc

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Step 2 - Just constantly ask yourself "What would Latimour do?"

then do the opposite of that.

bc

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    What you're wearing (or not wearing) is far more important that what you do. :eek: :bag:

Hey, it's true. That's life.

6. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Very solid advice.

Also...wear a low cut top and short skirt.

7. if he likes you, it won't matter what you do (or what you don't do), but just try not to injure him in anyway. If he wants to meet up with you for lunch, i believe the secret guy handbook translates that to mean that he wants to meet up with you for lunch...just remember, don't injure him...

if you get spagetti to eat, don't get it in your hair...unless he is into that kinda thing...

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Meeting for lunch is a sign of more than casual interest. Take it easy, and don't be paranoid or overly analytical. While it may signify a romantic interest, lunch is a very casual meal. Don't get all dressed up, or get caught up in trying to impress.

Show us some of the outfits you are considering, and we'll let you know what says "I'm a tramp, how about a nooner?", and what says "I'm comfortable with who I am, thanks for the invitation to lunch".

-Mike

9. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    -Don't talk with your mouth full
    -Don't spill your food and/or drink on him
    -Stay who you are
    -Just talk about interesests and showing interesest in what he doesn helps, too.

10. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    +1 on the bolded part. Guys can spot that from a mile away. The only other advice I can offer is to order whatever you feel like eating. Just don't run the bill up on this guy. :D

AuG

11. Keep the coversation light. Get to know him, and give him a chance to get to know you.

But if he doesn't play bass, he's not worth it.:D

Rock on
    Eric

12. Point taken, and well made.

:D

Ack - you mean, I may have implied more than I intended to?

Haha, nice try. I'm going with the latter, if you must know.

:D I'll be paying for myself, unless he offers, and even then, I'll pay half.

You know, the one thing I don't think I could stand would be a bass player boyfriend/husband. I'm not sure why, but I just couldn't.

Good thing he's an aspiring lawyer, huh? *waits for the Latimour jokes*

I hope he didn't take it as a date kinda thing; as much as I would love to be able to leap into a relationship first go, I think in this universe I'd rather establish a friendship before anything else.

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    A lawyer....auch.

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Hey Steph, I certainly do not think you would dress as a tramp. I'm sorry if that came out wrong. I only suggested you let us guys know what you may be wearing, and we'll give you some feedback on the message you may be sending with the outfit.

I don't think you implied more than you intended, just an observation. If a person goes out of their way to arrange to have a meal with someone, it usually means they have more than a casual interest in the person. Yeah, I know I could be wrong here. Just my viewpoint.

My first thought if an attractive young woman invited me to lunch would be, "wow, she must like me". Not like me as in get married like me, but like me as in she wants to set aside some time to visit with me.

-Mike

15. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    Smile, be yourself, act natural. There is no better advice than this. Don't try to be the woman you think hed like. Just be yourself, and see if it works. Chances are that, if he accepted to eat lunch with you, hes very much interested in you, so dont change a thing and it'll work out fine.

16. morf

morf Banned

Feb 17, 2006
    +1 on if he doesnt play bass hes not worth it ;)

17. If I were you I'd sleep with him. And get kinky, you know, multiple positions, toys, handcuffs (pink and fuzzy,) roll playing, the whole bit. That way he knows you're interested in him, and then you might be able to drag him out on a date.

:D:D:D:D:D

So, anyway, how did it go?

Rock on
    Eric

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    So...how did it go? Was it awesome? Did you spill anything?

Cherie :)

19. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    How did it go? And remember, us men are a very simple folk. If you analyze anything we do, you're overanalyzing.

20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    A big +1 on getting to be friends first. You don't want to spend a couple weeks smearing your makeup and then find out you really don't like the guy. I never really understood the "I've known you for a whole 4 hours now, let's shack up!" thing.