DeArmond Ashbory?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassmanJoe, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Has anyone played,lived w/ or just known a friend who has had 1? Im curious because i want to get into the fretless sound for that awesome growl and the Ashbory looks from my eyes to be a good investment. What do you guys think? Thanks
  2. MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    I've played one, and while it is a fun instrument to play it's not your typical fretless tone. Save a little more and look at some MIM Fenders or Deans or whatever else you can find.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Joe, MJB is correct about the tone of the Ashbory. It does not sound like a fretless electric. The closest thing that it sounds like is an upright.
  4. So IYO its not the best choice? I have been playing a year and own a Fender MIM P-Bass and the beginner bassist standard the Squier P-Bass as well (i was lucky i got a good 1 tight body pocket,nice strings and good tone). I looked at the ashbory for its original body style and what looks like a good price (Musicians' Friend) 250 U.S.. What other fretlesses should i check out?
  5. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I own an ashbory-DO NOT BUY IT SIGHT UNSEEN! the sound of the bass is soo different that you need to make sure you really like it first. The first few months after i bought it i used it a bunch but after that i realized-intonation is so difficult on that [think viola/violin almost] & with the sound i was better off just usin my fretted mexi jazz w/flats. I'd save up a lil' longer and buy a MIM Jazz Fretless or buy a Squier Jazz/p-bass and buy a fretless neck from warmoth [$180-200 for fretless neck {I think}]. So i think look at the MIM Fretless then some other standard bass guitar sized fretless-not the ashbory unless you try it first. thats all
  6. Thanks guys you have given me alot of good information. A new thought came into my head, could i buy that fretless neck for my Squier P-Bass? I am going to upgrade the weak electronics with Duncan Quarter Pounders and thi sounds like a good idea. What do you think? One more thing intonation is hard ? Meaning keeping the thing in tune right? I mean can i use a tuner or is it something else?
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Intonation isn't making sure the bass stays in tune, it's making sure you are playing in tune. On a fretless bass, your fingers act as the frets, essentially. You have to be spot on, otherwise the notes you are playing will be flat or sharp by the teensiest bit. What's hard about starting fretless (on your own) is that if you don't have a durn good ear, you won't even notice you're off. Using a tuner can help, if you play slowly, and watch the tuner to make sure you're playing the note right. Using reference notes, like open strings, or tones from a piano/keyboard, can help you develop your ear.
  8. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I had and ashbory for a while and I never really got into it. The tone wasn't really what i was looking for in fretless (only distantly like an upright) and I never got used to the silicone strings or the very very small scale. the sound was deep and powerful, but I agree with everyone else: make sure you play one before buying one (or at least be prepaired to send it back if you order on-line.

I sold mine