Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DeArmond Guild 4 String...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andrew_S., Jun 11, 2002.

1. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hi all,
    actually, this is my first time posting in the BG forums. I currently own a 4 string DeArmond Guild electric bass. However, I'm having a hell of a time finding out any information on them. The dealer said that DeArmond has discontinued the series. Has anyone heard this?

Anyone else ever played on one of these hollow bodies? I really dig the sound I'm getting.

2. Yeah the Dearmond name is officially dead, but Fender still sell the instruments (guitars at least, not sure about the basses) under the Squier brand.

A friend of mine has one of the last Pilot basses Dearmond made, and I've played a Jet Star bass but I've never played one of the semi-hollow ones.

They look pretty nice though, there's been one in a shop round here for about 2 years now and I nearly bought the thing last June.

The Dearmond I really want is an Ashbory. They're just so damn groovy!

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have one of the Starfire Basses, which is what I suspect you have.

I'm rather fond of it!

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That explains a lot then. I saw the Squier in musicians friend. I thought "Wow, those really look like Guild's."

My dad has a DeArmond Starfire guitar. Major pain the butt to change strings, but a killer guitar.

What's up with Fender sacking all of their products? First it was Sunn, now DeArmond.

5. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Glad to see some responses here everyone... Thanks!

Well, I guess that's why when I went to the Dearmond website, I atomatically got routed to the fender site. The only bad thing I see with the starfire bass is that I'm getting some buzz (which is why I was initially looking for info) from the bridge adjustment springs. I wanted to find out if this was normal and could be fixed or if I somehow had a defective instrument.

Regardless, I play in a garage rock/rockabilly band and it has a great mellow vintage sound. :)

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Hi Andrew.

I have a DA Starfire bass and I get no buzzing from the bridge. It's a Guild bridge and good quality. Did you check to see that both height adjustment allen screws are making solid contact? This could possibly be your problem. If you can't figure it out take it to a tech, it shouldn't buzz.

7. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    My bass looks exactly like this except it says Dearmond at the top instead of Guild...

[​IMG]

8. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Yeah, that's a Starfire bass. DeArmond was basically an import line of models designed after Guilds. Fender (FMIC) owns Guild and they owned DeArmond until they dropped the line.

9. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Yeah, I actually did look at the contact to make sure it was flush. What is buzzing is actually those black springs on the bridge. I guess it's not really a buzz, rather, more like a rattle and it's inaudable when playing through an amp (actually, it's really pretty inaudable acoustically as well but I'm neurotic about it). I think the bridge saddles may need to to be "screwed" in more on the bolt so that the springs are compressed more but I like the way I have my action set currentlyand I don't want to mess with it.

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's your intonation adjustment! I suggest taking one apart and making a trip to a good hardware store and a good auto parts store to see if you can find similar springs that are a bit (like maybe 25%) longer.

But before you do that, have you intonated your Starfire? My springs are under enough compression to avoid any rattles.

11. Andrew_S.

Andrew_S.

Jul 24, 2001
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I had a tech at the music store do it. Is this something I can do myself? Do tell...

I like fiddling. :)

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL