1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dearmond Guild Jetstar Bass - Tyrean purple

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Otherside, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Otherside

Otherside

Jul 9, 2019
    Birmingham
    Hey, so im just curious about this bass i picked it up from my local music shop when i was 12 for £120! Im 30 now and it's been sitting in my loft (attic) for... lets just say a few years now. The only mod i have made is the volume and tone pots have been changed... past me thought it looked 'cooler'... but its a sparkely perple bass at the end of the day.
    Been looking online and i can only find bits and bobs of information about them. I've found the model with the single coil pickups in seems to be a touch rarer, Does anyone have any information the guitar in general, maybe you've owned one or seem then around, a value would be nice. Not very many of then flying around.

Thanks! -Otherside.

Attached Files:

2. I saw one of these around 20 years ago in a local music store. I thought it was cool (I've always been drawn to unusual looking instruments) Back then, I was a guitar player so I didn't buy it but when I started play bass more seriously about 10 years ago, I tried to find one of those DeArmonds but they are rarer than hens teeth. I'm not even sure if they're any good but I'd still like to have one.

MCF and Otherside like this.
  3. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    Nice Bass. I like the color.
    I can't speak to many specifics but in general the DeArmond instruments were well made.

Another source of information may be found at the Guild Forum:
    Let'sTalkGuild

Good luck and party on!

MCF, wintremute and Otherside like this.
  4. Otherside

Otherside

Jul 9, 2019
    Birmingham

Many thanks dude!

Guzzi Toad likes this.
  5. Otherside

Otherside

Jul 9, 2019
    Birmingham

Thanks for the reply dude.

6. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Haven't played one of those, but do have a DeArmond Starfire bass. It's a nice instrument, though I like the Guild Starfire necks, which are slightly narrower, better.

[​IMG]

If I had your bass, I'd probably enlarge the pup cavities and slap in some Bi-Sonics. But then, I've never tried any of those little stock single-coils, so what do I know?

[​IMG]
    Old Guild Jet Star with single Bi-Sonic and un-angled bridge base plate. Note also narrower, unbound neck and clover-leaf tuners.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    MCF, ed morgan, mattbass6945 and 2 others like this.
  7. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    So, are the controls on your Jet Star "volume-volume-master tone"?

8. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Is that Susannah Hoff?

9. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I owned one of these in a black finish (would have preferred the purple!), less than 10 years ago. Nice basses. Stock controls were volume, volume, tone. Made in Korea. Great single coil pickups and I thought they sounded particularly nice with flatwound strings. I enjoyed it but ultimately let it go to fund other purchases. In any case, definitely rare and quality instruments. Not necessarily one I feel that I need to track down again, but if one came up for sale locally at a cheap price, I might be tempted.
    I should note, there was a cheaper, long-scale model that had a bolt-on neck and a split coil (which I believe was made in Indonesia). The build quality was not quite as good, but still a decent, funky bass in its own right.

10. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    @mellowgerman ... this is not an attempt to hijack this thread but ...
    Are these the pickups that are commonly referred to as the "micky-mouse pickups"?

11. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Kinda sorta... I think a lot of Guild junkies (like myself) would consider the "Mickey Mouse" pickups to be specifically the 6-pole guitar pickups from the 60's and 70's that look a lot like these. Though there were also bass pickups in 1965 and 1966 almost identical to these Dearmond pickups, I seem to remember there being debate on the Guild forum as to whether or not they could rightly be called "Mickey Mouse" pickups. I would say these Dearmonds are definitely relatives/descendants, but I still not exactly Mickeys

12. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    @mellowgerman Thank you for that information. I think I caught a bit of that discussion on the Guild forum (without complete understanding.) Again, thanks for the clarification.

mellowgerman likes this.
  13. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    "Is that Susannah Hoff?"

Her name is Charlotte Kemp Muhl.

bholder and Guzzi Toad like this.
  14. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    This PIC better illustrates the differences between the bridges on the Guild bridge vs. the DeArmond Star Fires. This one belongs to a member of this forum, or at least it did at one time:

[​IMG]

mattbass6945 and Axstar like this.
  15. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    Oh! She is Sean Lennon's sweetie.
    That's cool. And she appears to be a "real" bass player, not just a model.
    (No, sorry. I didn't read the whole bio.)

Sean's father changed the course of my life.
    I wept openly when he passed.

Anyway ... back to the Jetstar.
    I love Guild basses.

*edited for spelling of Mr Lennon's name ... doh!*

Wisebass, TinIndian and bholder like this.
  16. bearfoot

bearfoot Inactive

Jan 27, 2005
    Chittenango, NY
    One day at the Guild factory, some luthiers were looking at the Salvador Dali painting in the break room, and...

17. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    "That's cool. And she appears to be a "real" bass player, not just a model."

And purdier than all of us combined, I'll wager...

18. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    Indeed.
    However ... I took a couple minutes to read the bio at the usual source.
    I don't think it would be inaccurate to say that she is Musician first and a fashion model second.
    If I weren't chin deep in a move to a new house, I'd take the time to find some music.

bholder likes this.
  19. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    Here is some footage/audio of Kemp Muhl playing that particular bass:

Skillet, abarson, MonetBass and 3 others like this.
  20. Guzzi Toad

Guzzi Toad

Mar 10, 2019
    Ah, hey. Thanks for that Bro/Sister.
    To be honest, I got a limited amount of enjoyment out of that.
    My speakers and headphones are packed away and my laptop just didnt do the audio justice.
    But thanks for posting just the same.

Yes ... Jetstar Bass!
    I've new found respect for the JetStar ... DeArmond or Guild.
    There's just somethin' about a pretty girl playing a cool bass.
    (See ... Catherine Popper :) )

The DeArmond appears to have a FMIC bridge like my '90s reissue Starfire.
    The earlier bridge had rosewood saddles as do the new reissues.

twoGuilds.jpg
    (my Guilds .. apologies if I've posted before)
    Everybody likes pics.

Stugilliam, Tommy V and Mustang Surly like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021