1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD DeArmond Jet Star II bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by mellowgerman, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Just bought this bass recently and absolutely love it. I know I'll be kicking myself for selling this down the road, but so it goes I do suppose. It sets up super well with nice and low action. Excellent shape with plastic still on the pickups and on the back control cavity. Short scale, set neck is super comfortable. Excellent tone from the USA DeArmond single coil pickups; beefier/rounder than my jazz bass pickups, but still with that single coil clarity.
    The only two dings to speak of are one on the binding on the treble-side of the neck and another at the bass-side foot of the body. Neither would show up in pictures and neither exposes any wood or goes through the finish. When I got it, the tone knob was missing the silver insert, so I decided to put a chicken-head style knob in its place. Looks great IMO but I will throw in the original knob as well. For reference, the last photo shows the bass the day I got it, with the old tone knob.
    Doesn't come with a case, but you'll be happy to know it will fit in normal bass gig bags or universal fit bass cases.
    Looking to get $325 shipped CONUS.

EDIT: soundclip link and demo video link in posts below

0107121417a.

2. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    super cool bass. I had a student that had one of these. It played great and sounded great. bump for sweet bass. wish I could snag it.

3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Here's a quick soundclip I just recorded. Both pickups, then neck solo'd, then bridge pickup. Note, I just used the built in mic on my ipod and put it in front of my bass amp... doesn't exactly do the bass justice, but you get the general idea. Also, please excuse the sloppy playing. It's already been a long morning.
    And just FYI, the chiming sound at the end of the clip is my phone receiving a text message, so no, unfortunately the bass does not have a chiming feature ;)
    Both Neck Bridge - Jet Star Demo

4. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker

Dec 4, 2010
    Ocala, FL
    Bump for a sweet bass. Someone should jump on this.

5. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    That clip sounds freaking sweet!! :hyper:

GLWTS - BUMP, hoping someone else nabs this before I cave in. :D

6. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Please, feel free to cave in ;)
    Great tone from this little beast; no doubt!

7. Luckie

Luckie

Jan 1, 2010
    Northfield MN
    How would you describe the neck profile?
    Weight good, balance good? Any idea of the neck/body wood?
    Thanks!

8. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I would say the neck is a oval C type, a little chunkier than my '66 Guild Starfire's neck was... very comfortable IMO. Not too small, not too big. Balances surprisingly well. Weight is medium/light. Not as heavy as my Mustang bass was. Lighter than my jazz. Mahogany neck and body.

9. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Here's a quick demo video I recorded to show some of the different tone combos and how it sounds with a pick
    jet star demo - YouTube

10. Sweet video bump - that thing has a range I never expected given how I hear people talk down about DeArmonds.. never again will I believe such guff. This bass sounds like a million bucks! Andy Fraser? Check. Roger Waters? Check. Justin Chancellor? Check. Pretty versatile by my ears.

11. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Free bump. This bass sounds great, talk about growl! Is it strung with rounds at the youtube vid?

12. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Nope, those are a nice thick set of flats; not brand new, though they aren't fully broken in yet IMO

13. EduardoK

EduardoK

Jun 28, 2004
    Awesome flatwound growl, my friend!
    Keep this bass, these are hard to come by...

14. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    crazy lookin bass. where are these made?

15. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Eduardo, wish I could keep it. Just need the money at the moment.

Tim, these were made in Korea.

16. slowburnaz

slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Off-topic a bit here, but would it be possible for you to measure the pole-piece spacing on those pickups?

17. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    They're about 5/8" from center to center. Both bridge and neck.

18. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I wish I had money...

Also if this Jetstar is anything like my Dearmound Starfire...I can first hand tell you this is a quality reissue, and super versatile.

19. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Decided not to go the ebay route after a friend of mine told me another seller horror story. He sold a mixer recently and the buyer told him it was damaged in shipping. After some back and forth, ebay ruled in favor of the buyer and my buddy had to take it back and give the buyer his money back. The kicker is he received the mixer back, damaged as reported, but in the same box he sent it out in, which was virtually unscathed. Now he has a broken mixer and is out listing and shipping fees. That's just about all I need to permanently scare me away from selling anything worth more than $50 through ebay.
    So I figured, if I sold the bass through ebay for $400 shipped conus, after listing fees and shipping, I'd probably be left with no more than $300 -- not to mention the hassles that go with selling through ebay.
    Therefore, following my logical train of thought and considering my love for the TB community, how does $325 shipped conus sound?

20. D.A.R.K.

D.A.R.K. Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2003
    Virginia
    pm'd!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.