Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DeArmond JetStar bass questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Mar 14, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been looking for a second short scale bass for those arthritic days. I have a DeArmond Starfire Bass I really like.

I got all worked up about the Epi Allen Woody sig yesterday, but cold reality set in this morning - I really don't want to spend that much right now.

Who here has one of the DeArmond JetStars? I see VH1 STM still has a few on eBay, and what I've read in the archive here and on the FDP says that they're the short scale set neck models. If the quality is similar to my Starfire, they must be better than decent.

Who here has one and can describe the neck? The tone? The balance? The quality? The taste?

Do cases exist?

2. I have a DeArmond Jetstar. I'm pretty happy with it. The bridge is pretty bad so you mgiht want to replace it but it does have a nice tone. If you can find one for $300 or under get it.

Luis

3. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Is yours the set-neck or the bolt?

How's the balance? Can you compare the tone to something else, like a Jazz or P?

I would think it would be kind of like a Jazz, but who knows...

4. I have the set-neck. The balance is perfect. The tone is more like a Jazz than a P.

Luis

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    My buddy here in mobile has one he's desperate to sell...

it's Tyrian Purple...I've played it, it's an interesting little bass.

Want one? I'm sure he'll deal.

6. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    [​IMG]

7. I really like the way they look. However, when I had a chance to play one in a guitar shop, I was quite disappointed. I thought that it played and sounded... cheap. The sound seemed pretty thin, trebly, and undesirable. The neck was uncomfortable and did not play too well.

It could have just been the model I was playing, or something. Like I said, I played one once. There might be better models out there.

Good luck.

Kenan

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    It would have to be *really* cheap, since they can be had for $200 new from VH1 STM!

Is he interested in a like new Steinberger Spirit XT2 in trade? ;)

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    he's ready to do $175 with the DeArmond case...
    Guess he's hurtin' right now, needs the $ bad.

10. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    PM incoming...

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    checking...

and right back atchya

12. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mark... whatta guy!

Poor Mark (xush) was stuck in the middle of this deal between his friend and me, but it all worked out - the Jetstar arrived today!

My first impressions are that this is a very interesting little bass. I can't wait to plug it in - playability is great. The purple is actually rather attractive, and I think I can return the purple velvet hat I found at the used clothing store – the color is pretty low-key.

Construction quality is very high, just as I expected. The first-line Korean DeArmonds really were well made, which is why they didn't make it, IMO - they had to sell for too much! A set, bound neck and USA pickups - sweet!

Mark, I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the trouble you went through to help me get this bass. Major Karma points to you!

13. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    YAY! It got there already?! Good deal.
    Hope you enjoy it. I got a kick out of it the few times I played it. Almost bought it a couple times, went with a Gretsch instead and ended up selling it.

It's a weird little bass, eh?!

Have fun with it. Let me know if you ever have any concerns.

Glad to try to help. Thanks again for our your patience!

14. HeavyDuty, how's the string output balance on yours?

the setneck Jetstar I tried had a louder output from the E and G strings.
    the tone was great though- like a mini Jazz bass, with nice sweetspot blending settings.

I've got one of the cheaper long-scale Jetstar special's, and found the E string saddle kept tipping over, so changed the bridge for a cheap gotoh copy.

15. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm liking this puppy more each day. The balance is impeccable, the tone is quite beefy, and the neck is great. Women fawn over the fact I'm playing a purple bass - I wish I had discovered this trick years ago.

Only one minor problem - it suffers from J bass hum syndrome. I'm fine if I keep both PUs dimed, but turn one of them down even a little and its hum city. A cavity resheilding appears to be in order - no biggie.

String balance is fine on mine, and the bridge is solid. I know the pickups are different, but I wonder if the hardware varies by model?

I like it!