Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DeArmond Pilot 5 from SamAsh

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkSlapRumblefish, Jul 21, 2001.

1. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm thinking of buying a Piolt Plus 5 string from Samash and I'd like to know if it would be a good deal to get one from them for $159.00 :confused:. I currently play a Stingray 4 string and would like to add a fiver to my bass supply, but I don't know if this bass is 'worth a damn'. If you have one from SamAsh... was it delivered in good condition, setup properly, and how is the overall quality of this bass??? I would appreciate any info you have about it. Thanks for your help :)

-FSR

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    FSR, I recently got one of these in Cobalt Blue. It is worth every penny of the $159 delivered to your door. I would recommend it as a very inexpensive way to try a 5.

It was delivered in very good condition, one small blemish on the tip of the lower horn, no big deal. And, of course, you have 45 days to return it if you don't like it. The intonation was way off so I had to dial it in, again no big deal. The bass is very playable and sounds nice. It comes with Guild roundwound strings on it, but I just ordered a set of TI Jazz rounds to try. The tuners and bridge are cheap quality but workable, the electronics seem to be just fine, though this is my first active bass.

Did I say it was worth every penny (more!) than $159? :D

3. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    That's great! I was hoping for a response like that so I wouldn't feel worried about ordering it :D. I think I'll be placing my order pretty soon, and then I'll have my first five string! I can't wait. Thanks for the input. If anyone else has opinions on this bass, please share! :):):)

-FSR

4. Is that $159 American? Because if it is...GO FOR IT! Sounds like a really good deal to me. I tried one out and wasn't too nuts about it but that doesn't mean you won't like it. I think 45 days is loads of time to make up your mind. Even in Canadian $ that's a bargain.

5. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've had mine for about a week & i've only had small problems with it-the intonation is off by close to a whole step the higher up you get on the neck. On the battery compartment one of the ferruels was loose so i took it out & used some Future Glue Super Gel [read as super glue from meijer] & fixed that. I think i'm gonna take it in to a local dealer & have a set up done on it. The active electronics w/the bright rounds on it make it sound like night & day compared to my jazz [passive, brite flats]. For $160 I'm glad i bought it-i can forsee some upgrades in the future though-not really sure what-maybe the pickups or straplocks-$160 well spent. Also-there was 1 other flaw inside the control panel the top left peice of wood was split-but it still stays on since there are more screws. thats all

6. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have had mine for about a week also. No defects. The action was a little higher than I like, and the intonation was a little off on the G and D strings, no big deal, all taken care of in just a few minutes.
    I think it sounds pretty good; a very deep, very punchy sound with no mud. The J style pickups have the typical J hum when one pickup is given more volume than the other. I wouldn't replace the pickups or electronics, as the sound is one of the better things about this axe.
    The neck doesn't appear to have a finish on it, or perhaps it's a very, very light finish; which could look dirty and grimy on down the road. I like the way the neck feels and plays; even though it is wide, (3/4 spacing) it is very thin and doesn't wear out my hand the way my DR-5 does. (I've had surgery for CTS).
    I really wasn't expecting much for $159 and was suprised at how good it sounds, and how easily it plays. All in all, I consider it a great deal.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah - for $159 it's a STEAL. i have one that's currently playing backup duty to my warwick, but it's a damn fine bass. i threw some DR's on it ASAP and it sounds 10000 times better.

i only had 2 problems with it:

pickups were WAY too low (fixed: unscrewed pickups, removed foam, cut into 4 pieces and doubled up at each corner)
    B string has VERY low output. i have no idea how to fix it, new pickups maybe?

oh well, as a backup it is PERFECT, and for someone not sure if they want a 5 it'd be a great, cheap way to find out.

jason

8. FunkSlapRumblefish

FunkSlapRumblefish Guest

May 23, 2000
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks for all the input! I'm sure I'll like this more than many because when a bass costs $159, I'm not very picky about the sounds I get... which seem to actually be pretty good from what you guys tell me :). I'm ordering mine in about a week, so I'll let you all know what I think (sorry if you don't care, just don't read it ;) ). Thanks again :D

-FSR

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I have not noticed this to the extent that it is a problem. A good set of pickups and electronics will likely cost more than the bass. DeArmond built their reputation on their pickups.

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hmm...what could it be then? i have the pickup height WAY high, new string....

11. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    >B string has VERY low output.

I strongly suspect that the pickups are standard 4-pole. Does your G string sound a little weak too?

12. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Perhaps your pickups are too high, causing magnetic pull on your string.
    Did you notice if they were 4 pole pickups when you cut the foam?