Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DeArmond Pilot - are these any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fleabass89, Apr 22, 2001.

1. I always want to ask this, but keep forgetting. What's the deal with these Pilot basses? They're helluva cheap, and they look nice, but looks are decieving. Anyone have one? Anyone tried one? What did you think?

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Which model? There are like 5 different models in the line.

I've got a buddy who has the first generation DeArmond Pilot 5 string, and it is a pretty good bass for the price. Pretty tight B, active electronics, good stable neck, pretty good tone, etc.

But for this year they have the Pilot Standard, Pilot Plus, Pilot Pro and Pilot Deluxe.

So is it a NOS Pilot, or one of the 4 new models?

3. sorry, I mean the Pro. They look real nice for the price. Hey, I made a rhyme!

4. Boy, I wish I could rhyme like that!!! Anyway, Does anyone know is the Pilot Plus has a 34 in or a 35 in scale? In Musican's Friend catalog they say that they're 35, but the Fender Frontline says that they're 34. This Frontline is so full of mistakes that I kind of doubt that they're right.