1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dearmond pilot bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jazz-Francois, Dec 6, 2006.

1. I just wanted to know if somebody can give me information about Dearmond bass !! if that instrument is good quality and if it sounds nice. I know that it is made by guild but nothing else .. Thank you

2. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    The other week, I saw a local ska band called the Waffle Stompers play, and their bassist was playing a natural ash-bodied DeArmond 4-string active through a Hartke rig (3500 into an aluminum cone 4x10) and it sounded fat with great clarity. How an ash-bodied bass should sound.

I would think the quality is decent, because that band is always jumping around and doing crazy stuff on stage.

I never got to play his bass, so I can only judge by what I've seen during that show.

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Two of my brothers have DeArmond Pilot basses, one a "Pilot Pro" and the other a "Pilot", which they bought when they were dicontinued and cleared out at rock bottom price by Musician's Friend some years back. I've played both. They are very good quality made in Korea basses, akin to a Dean Edge 5 that I used to own in workmanship and parts quality. I would recommend one without reservation.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I had a natural finished DeArmond Pilot Plus (or pro? It was a bolt-on neck) five string. It was the version with the soapbar pickups and the three-band preamp.

It was a good bass, though I wouldn't really call it a _great_ bass, in retrospect. It was pretty vanilla all around. It had nice, wide string spacing, though. That's a personal preference, however, so that might not even be a good thing! It was reliable, though, and overall I think that they're a good value for the money.

5. I'm a fan! I've got a DeArmond Pilot Deluxe 4-string, and I love it do death. It was the first bass I owned (bought it new for $300) and it's still the only 4-string electric I have and play.

DSCN08899999999.

DSCN08999999999.

Video:

6. Like Lokire, I had an ash Pilot Pro. Great sound and feel. One of the interesting features of the bass is that it's a 35" scale. It has one of the best sounding E strings around.

7. I had a Pilot 5, also bought at the same closeout for $139.00.
    No serious problems, but the tone was rather generic & the neck was so wide you could have used it as a tabletop.

8. Mixoux

Mixoux

Nov 6, 2006
    I know this thread is slightly old but I'm reviving it :p

My very first bass was (and still is) a DeArmond Pilot (not pro). 3 tone knobs, P/J pickups, rather much like its tone.

I'll agree that it's not a breakthrough in bass making or anything, but I very much enjoy it and still use it. And like Hambone mentioned, the 35" scale is always nice :)