Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DeArmond Pilot Deluxe 5 low b string quality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Aug 24, 2003.

1. hey folks,

I've had a DeArmond Pilot for a while, and the B string, while decent enough, has never really been up to the quality of the rest of the instrument. For a Korean-made instrument that I paid $300 for off of ebay, it is a GREAT bass, with fantastic string spacing and neck profile, but the B has never really had a great sound. It feels fine; it's tight, due to the 35" scale and solid construction. I recently changed the low B from the D'Addario XL 5 .130 to a Ken Smith .145, and that did help somewhat, but my Kingston 5's B string is still thunderous in comparison. I'm wondering if the cheap active electronics might be to blame. Anyone else have any experience with one of these basses?

2. egb41

egb41

Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    You are right it is the pickups/electronics. On another note how do you like the 35 inch scale and the baseball bat neck?

3. I love the neck profile. The 35" scale took a little getting used to, since all I had played before were 34" scale 4 strings. The string spacing is perfect for slap. The tone is great, it sounds somewhat like an Active Jazz V to my ears, minus some of the growl that you can only get with single coils.