Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DeArmond Pilot Deluxe for $235 used?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lakerkobe, Jun 17, 2002.

1. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    In perfect shape. I have never played bass or any instrument but want to learn and this is the deal I have been offered. Should I take it?

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yes, this is a good deal. The Pilots are nice, my brother has a bass like that, P-J pickups, nice comfy neck, looks cool, sounds good, active EQ (if that's your bag). A good price for a good bass. Original MSRP on those was something like $450 or so.

And welcome to bass! You'll love it.

You need a little practice amp (look for bass amps at www.musicyo.com or elsewhere locally) , a cable, a tuner, and a strap. Also, lessons would be good as well, I recommend them.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The Pilot Deluxe actually has two soapbar pickups instead of the P/J configuration. It's also a neck-through. $235.00 wouldn't be a bad price IMO but I would try a few more things to see if there's something that you feel a little more comfortable with. It's going to be hard to beat the Pilot for that kind of money.

4. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    MSRP on the Pilot DeLuxe was $999.

They were dumped for $299 when FMIC pulled the plug on DeArmond.

I can't make up my mind on this one bass. I think the lower-end Pilot models were probably better deals, but it depends on how you feel about unfinished oiled wood, active electronics and skinny through-necks, I suppose. I'm a P-Bass kinda guy.

These DeLuxes didn't take off on EBay like some of the other DeArmond basses did. People are still struggling to get their $299 back out of them.

If it's in good shape and the electrics (the weak point on DeArmond assembly) are clean and noise-free, I guess the $235 price is OK. The necks are very thin and easy for a beginner to handle. I've recommended the Pilot series to many beginners and everyone's been happy so far.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I bought a Pilot V Pro, which is right below the Deluxe. The only real difference is that mine has a gloss finish and a bolt-on neck. The Pro still has the five-piece neck, soapbars, and preamp as the Deluxe.

For that kind of money, you should definitely buy that bass. The mid-range is a little fickle, and the on board control for that isn't the greatest, but everything else about the bass rocks. The 5-string neck is perfect for me, and it's an overall great value.

6. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for the comments. I suppose I should mention the other deal I was offered was $350 for a Brawley KB-24 Artemis Custom, brand new. Any opinions on that one? Thanks.

7. Canoman

Canoman

May 22, 2002
    Dallas, Texas
    Hrmm, I have a DeArmond Pilot Plus... Would it make a large difference in sound if I replaced the electronics in it? I'm a newbie bassist and haven't really delved into the guts of my basses yet. Was thinking about replacing the P+J's but didn't know what exactly needed to be done for that. If I replace the pickups, do I have to replace the wiring and other parts as well? Or can I just replace the pickups and leave the rest of the wiring alone?

I like playing on my Pilot Plus. It's a bolt on neck and has P+J instead of the soapbars that are on the Pilot Deluxe. (I think it was a much better purchase than the amp I got along with it. My Crate BFX25 isn't too great. :( It can't handle my 5-string very well.)

Being new, I don't have many basses to compare the DeArmond's to. All I can really say is that I like mine. :)

8. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    Canoman, i have the same bass, the only complaint i have is that the B is floppy but for $160 it's the Best B i've ever played. A bigger amp will help out with the B. back to the original poster, if i would've found a Pilot Deluxe 5 for $240 i'd own it-b/c when i got mine i wasn't expecting to buy it but it was a good too good to pass up. thats all

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Actually I have two brothers who picked up closeout DeArmond 4 strings. One is a Plus with a P-J pickup configuration like yours and one is a Pro with a bolt-on 5 piece neck (constructed EXACTLY like my Dean) and soapbar pickups.

They are both great basses.

Canoman,

My advice is to spend your money on lessons and time on practice. Don't worry about ugrading your basses.

If you haven't already, take them (it?) to a shop and have a "set-up" done, it will cost about $40. Get to know the bass you have intimately before considering "upgrades". You may find that you like it as it stands. IMO as a long time bass player those basses are fine as they are shipped and no upgrades are worth the trouble or money.

Also, you'll get a hell of a lot better upgrade in sound by upgrading your amp instead of your pickups.

10. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Well I just bought the Pilot Deluxe 4 string. I suppose the nest step would be to take some lessons rather than just sit here and bang helplessly on the strings. Thanks for your opinions.