Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DeArmond Pilot Deluxe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassics, Apr 10, 2001.

1. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I am planning on buying a DeArmond Pilot Deluxe 6-string bass.
    Does anyone have any experience with these? what weaknesses should I be aware of. I love the sound and resonance of it, so I don't want to hear that they "sound like ****", Will it hold up in a gig? are the tuners going to crap out in six months?

2. Bassics, I've only seen that bass in catalogs. What does it sound like? I'm just curious.

Mike J.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Does the Pilot come in 6-string? I thought it was just 4 and 5. One salesperson at GC said one guy who owned a Ken Smith actually liked the DeArmond better.Of course, this is a story from a guy who works at GC...:rolleyes:

Will C.:cool:

4. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    The only Ken Smith bass I have had the pleasure of playing was a BSR-5M, and the DeArmond reminds me alot of it. It has awesome resonance and warmth, and has an almost "grand piano" tone, The tone reminds me of Vic Wooten.
    It is a neck through design, maple and, I think,
    rosewood stringers, with mahogany body wings.
    As you probably already know, DeArmond is a subsidiary of Guild, which is owned by (who else?)
    Fender. According to the owner of the music store
    that I'm going to order from, The pickups and active electronics were designed first, and the bass was built around them.
    Check out www.dearmondguitars.com

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

BW, according to the website, the Pilot Deluxe does indeed come in a 6 string model.

6. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Thanks, M-Bel. I found that out after bassics posted the link, which was after my first post.

I wish they'd put a picture of the thing up too.

If DeArmond is putting out six stringers, can the six string Fender bass be far behind?

7. A six string Fender? Single coils preserve us!

Can you imagine how big the headstock would be?

Mike J.

8. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I was thinking that a six string P-bass would probably weigh more than my Pontiac.

9. embellisher

Actually, most P basses are lighter than most Jazz basses or Stingrays.

10. It would probably be the first bass with a 6 in-line headstock!

11. embellisher

Now THAT would be something!:eek:

I remember when 5's were fairly new, Jackson and Carvin offered a 5 with a pointy 5 inline headstock, and I knew someone that talked Carvin into making a reverse headstock 5 for him, even though the catalog said that they wouldn't.

Imagine a BC Rich Warlock 6 with a reverse headstock!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

12. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    ESH makes them, too (esh-basses.com), the J-Bass like Modell (Notorious II) comes with 6-in-a-line Tuners.

David

13. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    lists @ $1099.99 i think it'd be a nice bass to have but i'm kinda partial to Fender/DeArmond. thats all

14. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I played the 4 string and thought it was great. I know that the higher end ones have a nice B string so it would probably also have a nice high C.

15. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    It's not like 6-string Fender style basses don't exist, you know. Atelier Z makes a 6-string Jazz bass.

16. embellisher

BW, why did you have to mention Atelier?

I had almost forgotten that name, and the bad case that the pic of the Z Jazz style 6 that Brad Johnson posted that time, but here comes the GAS again![​IMG]

Now I've gotta go find a pic!

[​IMG]

Hey, Brad! There's an ash/maple 6! Who else has GAS besides me?!?!?[​IMG]

17. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California

18. embellisher

Yep! And it would be a new toothbrush.

Seriously, I have convinced myself that I need a better 6, but I was considering a $600 Ibanez BTB or a $1100 Peavey Cirrus, not a $2000+ exotic Japanese.[​IMG]

19. bassics

bassics

Nov 27, 2000
    Newark, Ohio
    I looked at Ibanez, didn't like the overall sound and the limited eq. Great for punchy bottom end, but I do a lot of chord structures and harmonics, and I like to play slap as well as fingerstyle.
    I don't know if the "$ 2000 exotic Japanese " comment was referring to me or not, but I'm ordering the DeArmond new for $650, plus $130 for a new case.