1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DeArmond Pilot Pro, New Old Stock prices

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tonedeaf Hack, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Tonedeaf Hack

Tonedeaf Hack

Mar 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I'm using my Peavey Foundation developing a PUP problem as an excuse to get a new bass. A shop near me has two DeArmond Pilot Pro four string basses that have been hanging on the wall for at least five years. They're tagged at $449.00 each, but the owner will drop the price to $300.00.

Is $300.00 a good price for a NOS DeArmond Pilot Pro? I know that they went cheap during the blowout sales after FMIC discontinued the DeArmond line, but the blowout pricing is now history.

I own four (was five) DeArmond guitars, Crafted In Korea. It's my understanding that the DeArmond Pilot basses were introduced after Fender moved production to Indonesia.

TIA!

2. I recently bought this Dearmond Pilot Deluxe for $200 in very good condition. There is a bit of thumb wear next to the pickup, but no dings or nicks. I've read of other sales in the same price range.

I'm not convinced that $300 is a screamin' deal but I'm not sure of what differences there might be between mine and yours...and if it's exactly what you're looking for, why not dicker some more? Those basses are long time orphans.

IMAG0042.

IMAG0044.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    DeArmond guitars were simultaneously made in Korea by Cor-Tek and in Indonesia. The cheaper models were Indonesian made.

I believe the Pro was Korean. I know the Deluxe was.

$300 isn't a ridiculous price, but it'd be better if it were a Deluxe for that.

4. Tonedeaf Hack

Tonedeaf Hack

Mar 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I was thinking that $300.00 was a bit much, & the shop owners don't deal much on price. One of the basses is mint & the other has a sizeable scatch on the back, but the same price for either one :rollno:. I'll exercise some patience and shop around; I'm not usually an impulse buyer.

I've been eyeing the SX basses, and at my skill (lack of) level one of those would probably do just fine. I'm also doing a lot of reading here at TB to get an idea of what budget basses to consider.

5. What is the pickup problem with your Foundation? That would probably be a cheaper fix(though not reduce your GAS).