Dearmond Pilot V bass sound.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian tate, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Brian tate

Brian tate

Aug 11, 2004
    I've have a Dearmond Pilot V bass - and I love the sound of it, but not the way it plays. So im looking for a bass wich have the same sound, and is nice too play - it don't have to be a 5 string! (I also have a pilot IV - but the sound is not the same, maybe is just the pick-up's. J-J on the V, an P-J on the IV - but the bridge sound is not the same on both' when I run the B-pu alone)

Any idears of a new bass with that sound? I have a little idear that any good J-bass would do the job...

(Sorry for my poor english - I'm danish, and spend more time playing bass, than learn english)
  2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Start by looking at a bass with the same pickup configuration. DeArmond made many basses under the Pilot brand, so it could be one of many different options. I have two brothers with DeArmonds and they are both very nice basses that sound great!
  3. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Why don't you check out a Yamaha BB404 or 405. These are nice alder body/maple necked intruments with the JJ pickup configuration and passive electronics. In the '80's I had a Guild Pilot V and it had EMGs but with passive style controls. It was a great bass with a nice wide neck. Soudwise, I think the BB404/5 is a great match if my memory serves me.