1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

DeArmond Pilot V Review

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smurf, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Smurf

Smurf

Dec 27, 2003
    After about a week with this bass all I can say is WOW! When I switched I wanted a 5 to work with and this thing has got to be a best buy, IMHO. The specs....5 string 9 volt active 35" scale, a very wide, but thin as in depth neck, a really nice see-thru red finish, nice tuners, they feel really smooth and hold tune very well. The balance is right on with a strap, and it weighs close to nothing. As some people have said, the EQ is set up, from front to rear of the bass, treb - bass - mid....very strange.The Balance control that blends the PU is VERY smooth from front PU to back. The PU, which are 2 jazz style, are pretty quite. All the controls feel very smooth, and ther are no sudden changes in volume thru-out there travel. The bridge is solid, and has a good amount of mass to it. The only problem I have with it is the way the neck is bolted on. It's a 4 string size back plate with for screws, and its off center to boot!It's on the high string side of the neck, and there is nothing bolted behind the B string. But it seems solid enough. Over all, this bass sounds, plays, and tweeks like a pro. I recommend it. PS The Basic 40 with a 12" just don't cut it...gas anyone?:D

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    A little late in the day for it as the particular model to which you refer has been out of production for several years, but I imagine there are some still floating around. The final DeArmond Pilots in the grade you describe had P & J style pickups.

Yes, it seems as though everyone who got some of the blowout DeArmonds felt they were excellent values.

I got a final production Pilot DeLuxe specifically for resale and I was very impressed by it, though it is not the style of bass I personally use. I checked it out thoroughly and set it aside to eBay or sell at some point. Very well-made bass: Multi-laminated, through-body neck, Schaller bridge, bead-blasted chrome hardware...pretty flashy!

3. Smurf

Smurf

Dec 27, 2003
    I did know that they were not made anymore, but I wasn't sure for how long. Where I got this had 5 of them,all as new, and all bolt on, and this one felt the best. The PU are both the stright J style, even tho they had one that had the P&J setup. Sorry if it's a late review, but I just had to vent. I think I'll be looking for a 4 in the future, all tho an amp is first on the list. Now where did I put that check book......

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am soon to buy a Pilot Pro 5 from SuperDuck soon. I hope it sounds pretty good. I would love to have a nech-thru version, but I'll take what I can get! I cant wait to see how the B sounds.

5. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I had the 6-string version of the one Bongo mentions above. It was a decent bass for the money, but I just didn't care for the body style. Also, I thought the hardware was utter crap - ESPECIALLY the bridge.

This was the top-of-the-line, neckthru model with soaps, too. The pickups were *okay*, but I also thought the overall tone of the bass was thin. It just wasn't terribly versatile.

Still, for the money, it's a decent bass. I did like the neck profile.

6. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I've got a Pilot Plus V that was my first 5 stringer that i got when Sam Ash was blowing them out for $160. I like it. However, ever since i got my ray5 i don't play it any more. The neck feels really wide but flat and since the Ray5 has a narrow baseball bat neck the switching between the 2 was too difficult. Right now the DeArmond is living at my bass teachers house so he can find out if he wants to dive into the 5 string realm. They are great basses for the money though. That's all

7. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I am glad he didnt like the body shape, cause I love it. :D

I still gig with this bass, and I really like it.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Which is a high-end Schaller unit on the DeLuxe. The tuners are Gotohs, I believe. It's not cheap hardware, in any case.

I don't understand the design theory of that bridge, but Schaller certainly wants enough for it.

I also am not personally thrilled with the styling and the hippyfied oiled wood business, but it's certainly a well-built bass, with the exception of the wiring, which is uncharacteristically spotty on the whole DeArmond line. Not defective, just messy sometimes. Other times it's beautifully done.:meh:

9. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Hey Ben - how's it going, man? Glad you're still diggin' that bad boy!

Bongo - Mine was not equipped with a Schaller bridge and DEFINITELY was not equipped with Gotoh tuners, IIRC.

10. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    Here is a pic of the tuners:
    [​IMG]

11. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    And a shot of the bridge (if this is a Schaller, I'm surprised as it's unlike the ones I've played):
    [​IMG]

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    What didn't you like about the bridge? :confused: I never had any problems with it whatsoever; it did what it was supposed to do. Even though the saddles don't have any slots, I never had a problem with them wobbling.

Though I have to agree, the neck profile is great, for a five string.

13. Planet Boulder

Nov 10, 2001
    SuperDuck - I thought the string hole routings were sloppy and I just didn't care for the relative lack of sustain. It just seemed a bit flimsy for my tastes.

Just personal preference.