Dearmond Pilot

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kjpollo, Nov 10, 2011.

1. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Hey all,
    I had an appointment late this afternoon, but I was running a little early so I went into in a music store nearby. After playing around with a Ray34 CA for a few minutes it was time to go.

As I was walking out the door, I noticed hanging up high on the wall they had a used neck-thru DeArmond Pilot- natural finish, 2 soapbar humbuckers, active electronics.
    By the time I spotted it, it was time for me to leave for my appointment so I didnt have a chance to have someone bring it down for me.

Asking price was $179- I'm thinking about going back there and trying it but I'm wondering if the price is good, bad or indifferent.
    Any opinions?

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Good price. They are very nice basses.

3. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I remember when Guild was making the Pilot in the 80s. It seemed like you saw one in every other rock video on MTV back then. I remember seeing them in videos from Bon Jovi, Loverboy, Springsteen and many others.

Well, I might have to make another trip to this store in the next couple of days. I already have more than half the cash on me, plus I should get my monthly expense check at work tomorrow....hmmm

4. Snakeman1066

Snakeman1066 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Central Valley
    I have one....got it off craigslist for $100.00 originally bought it for my son.....but after a clean up new strings and set up i decided i like it enough to hold on to it.....haven't gigged it yet though...

If i'm not mistaken Fender/Squire produced these basses out of their indonesian factory?

mancave3-1.jpg

on the left hanging next to my NJ Mockingbird

$179.00 is a good price i usually see them go for $200.00 to the $250.00 range

5. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Hopefully I'll get a chance to get back to that store today or tomorrow and try the bass through an amp.
    It doesnt look like anything special but if it sounds decent.....:bag:

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    That doesn't narrow it down enough. There were at least four Pilots.

This may have been a Deluxe or a Pro. For a Deluxe (through-body, oil finish), in excellent shape, that would be a good price.

7. BassTrpt

BassTrpt

Jun 27, 2011
    I bought a pilot deluxe 5 used and changed everything on it and I have to say it kills just about every bass out there including my Ken Smith 6 string and my friend's Fender deluxe...

8. progrmr

progrmr

Sep 3, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've got the DeArmond Pilot Pro V 5-string. Its a nice looking bass with tall comfortable neck and nice string spacing. The electronics are not very good though. Ive only had it for a week so I'm still working the controls out, it might get better.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021