Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dearmond question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Eilif, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Does Dearmond exist as a brand anymore? I know that fender bought Dearmond and the parent company guild, and last year's frontline had Guild and Dearmond. This year's Frontline made no mention of Dearmond, and any former dearmond models are now made by Squier. Dearmond basses (Pilot series) seem to have completely dissapeared. Does anyone know about this?

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Some of the DeArmonds became Squiers; the rest have been discontinued. I'm interested in seeing how the same instruments that didn't sell very well are going to do after changing the name.
    As far as DeArmond existing as a brand name... they may still be making pickups, which they had built their reputation on before there were instruments bearing the DeArmond name.

3. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Oregon
    Fender has plenty of DeArmond product info at bassstreet.com. It doesn't look like they are discontinued.

4. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    That's true about bassstreet, but bassstreet has been the same since last year, no new changes to the site for 2002 as far as I can tell

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    You're right. It doesn't look like it, but they are.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    That's a shame. My DeArmond Starfire Bass is a great instrument!

7. Are Ashborys still gonna be made under another company name?