Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DeArmond Starfire Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Gear_Junky, Oct 13, 2000.

1. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    I've been thinking about getting the DeArmond Starfire Bass and suddenly learned that they're discontinued. Local stores don't have them. On-line stores are out. Checked Ebay and HarmonyCentral Classifieds - none. Does anyone have a suggestion where to look? Thanks.

2. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Your best bet...is just to keep checking back on Ebay etc.
    There is bound to be one show up eventually...:)

3. dot74

dot74

Aug 24, 2000
    I looked at http://www.musiciansfriend.com to see if they had one there.....the only dearmond starfire there was a guit*r, however they have plenty of dearmond pilot bass's....but even in the magazine i get from them, they said in their article that de'armond is discontinuing alot of their products.......wonder why??

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
  5. Skip

Skip

Mar 22, 2000
    Bronxville, NY
    DeArmond makes less expensive, foreign manufactured, models of Guild basses. They are to Guild what Squire is to Fender or Epiphone is to Gibson (Fender owns both DeArmond and Guild). I would imagine that some culling of the line is for simple business reasons.

The market for semi-hollow basses is not huge, and the mark-up on a DeArmond bass is not nearly what it is on a Guild (though as a percentage of cost of production to the manufacturer the mark-up on the Guild may be smaller). If they don't move enough volume to justify keeping the production line open then they will stop making them.

I imagine that the populatity of the Epi Jack Cassidy in the same price range would take away from Starfire sales. But I'm not in the business so I don't know.

6. Gear_Junky

Gear_Junky

Jul 11, 2000
    Thanks for the info. That is steep! I wish I bought one when they were $299. Now it's off indefinitely. We'll see...