Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DeArmond Starfire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lisa Weiss, Mar 30, 2001.

1. Does anyone know anything about the DeArmond Starfire? I've come across a used one for 350.00 and I'm wondering if it's worth the money.

I checked previous threads, and only came up with a couple of posts relating to it.

I checked the DeArmond web site, and they retail for 999.00. Musician's friend is carrying them new for 599.00.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Lisa

2. They're a short scale, 30 1/4 inch, if I remember right. I also don't think that they make them anymore. I've heard that the Guild Starfire is really good. Sorry that's all I know. I hope I helped a little.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Lisa -

I've had one for almost a year now, and it has served me well for my re-entry to the bass. Currently, I'm having an affair with a pair of Steinberger Spirits, so the Starfire hasn't been seeing much play.

$350 is a decent price. I was lucky enough to get mine from Musician's Friend for $300 when they discontinued carrying the bass model. A friend of mine that owns a "real" Guild Starfire and I did a comparison awhile back, and we both felt there wasn't a nickle's worth of difference between the two as far as build quality went. The tones differed, but that's all - they were different, neither one was "better" than the other.

If you want a short scale, go for it! However, I found that I needed to grow as a player, and have consciously been forcing myself to adapt to standard 34" scale. All I had to do was clip the webs of my fingers with a pair of scissors...not.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with!

Ken

4. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Sorry Lisa, what you are looking at on DeArmonds website and at MF are not basses, but........guitars. Yes, there is a Starfire skinny string.

Like Heavy Duty, I bought one for $300 during the MF closeout, they are no longer made. $350 is a good price though, considering they are hard to find, but tell them you talked to a couple of people who bought them new for $300 and see if you can't get the price down.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mike -

I don't know about you, but every time I look at my Starfire and happen to think about that closeout price, I get a silly little grin. Sometimes you gets to eat the bear!

Ken

6. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Couldn't agree more Ken. :D

7. Thanks guys! I still haven't decided if I'm going to pick it up. I have a Conklin GT4 now that I just love, but I really liked that Starfire! Will keep you posted.

Lisa

8. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Trust your feelings...I can't tell you how many basses and cameras I rationalized myself out of that I wish I had today!

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Hey, Lisa - did'ja get it?

10. No. I decided to pass on it. It looked like a really sweet bass, but since I'm just learning to play, and I have really small hands, I figured it would be bad at this point to go to a short scale bass. Once I can cruise the fret board really well, I'll start looking again.

Thanks to everyone that posted info! :D

Lisa