Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DeArmond

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mooke, Jun 16, 2001.

1. mooke

mooke

Jun 14, 2001
    Milwaukee
    Has anyone played thw DeArmond Ashbory Bass? I'm just wondering how it sounds with those silicon strings.
    Thanks

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I got my Ashbory in February of this year. After playing it quite a bit for a month or so, I put it away and have just recently gotten back into it. IMO it sounds great... very deep and commanding, quite contrary to it's looks.

The strings take a bit of getting used to. Glisses and slides tend to be a tricky proposition at best. Common wisdom says that talcum powder, baby powder, etc. relieves the sticky feel, which it does, although you tend to get powder everywhere. I keep a little baby food jar full of powder to dip my fingers into. It also fits nicely in the case. A 2" soft bristle stays in the case's pouch for cleaning the powder off of the bass when finished...

When I first pulled this out at a Blues jam, I got snickers and laughs 'till we were done with the first coupla tunes, then nothing but compliments. You gotta admit that part of the appeal of the bass is it's weird looks...

Again, IMO, great sounding, fun to play, and while it may not be for every song, at less that $300, a great addition to your arsenal!

-robert