Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dearth Of Recent Instructional Videos?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Oct 17, 2004.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Has anyone noticed a real lack of recent instructional videos? It seems there was a big influx of them with some big-name bassists between '87 an '93, but they seem very few and far between these days. I've always loved watching them, mostly to see their performances (the only way I can see them play up close). Anyone notice this, or have an idea why?

2. pontz

pontz

Oct 31, 2003
    CT
    Bryan,

I've been playing for a few years and have never seen an instructional bass video. I guess I didn't think they'd be worth the $.

Which do you recommend?

Pontz

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, that depends on if you want them purely for instruction or to see the big names in bass performing-I enjoy both myself.

For instruction, the best tapes I've seen are Michael Manring's "Bass Essentials" video, which shows how to start a practice regime based on left and right hand permutations to built dexterity and accuracy. It's a really great tape once you get the hang of the order of the permutations down. Also, "The Slap Bass Program" by Alexis Sklarevski is probably the best technique-based video ever made for bass. "Modern Electric Bass" with Jaco Pastorius is also a valuable one, if only to see the man play.

There's also a lot of ones that are somewhat low on instructional value but have some great performances, like the Gary Willis one, the Victor Wooten "Super Solo Bass" one, and most of the Bill Dickens ones (there's four).

I also buy most of my tapes used, which saves a lot of money.