1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Death By Audio Interstellar Overdriver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cloudermilk, Aug 16, 2007.

1. cloudermilk

cloudermilk Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Anyone use this for bass?

2. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    I tried it in a store with an active Fender P bass. It was fun to play with, but not what I was after. Lots of fun tweaking though, I sat there for 30 minutes getting lots of sounds. It's just that none of them were the one I was looking for.

3. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Death By Audio makes a Bass version of this pedal. His stuff tends to be a bit expensive but the effects are cool. I've never owned one but I really dig the Sound Saw.

4. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Do you remember how well it retained your lows? I'm giving thought to one of those.

5. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I have the first bass version (at least it says 1 inside) and I love it. It replaced my long used Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor (5 years) as my primary gain source. The pedal is voiced different for bass (plenty of lows) and has a boost channel that can be used to turn the pedal into a pretty awesome Fuzz. It however is a custom order and is considerably more expensive than the regular Interstellar.

6. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    The sound clips of yours is what got me interested in the first place. I am interested in a normal one [two knob] or a normal one that is just voiced for bass, I don't need the boost like yours. Also the fact it replaced your Hughes & Kettner is another reason it perked my interest the old black and blue Hughes & Kettner tubeman is one of the best sounding ODs I have ever heard.

I'm really starting to out grow my Rust Ride at least in terms of my main rig, just not bassy enough [without EQ and or blend] and no control over gain is starting to bug me................ Also the overwhelming tubescreamerness[which I do love] just isn't for everything, and it is hard to find ODs that don't sound like a TS.

I'm still look at others as well but death by audio is a strong runner right now, and I do plan on getting a quote from them on bass voicing when they get back.

7. I wonder if the bass version just has a bigger input cap or something simple like that.

8. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It probably has a bigger input and output cap, depending on the circuit topology probably needs a few other tweaks aswell, say in any tone section.

The point I'm trying to make is there's no mystic ju-ju with making guitar FX work for bass, but it's not "something simple" either.

I'd love one of those pedals they made for the bassist from Jet, but I've got way too much gain already.

9. Well the Interstellar doesn't have a tone knob so I'm thinking bigger caps would mostly cover it for that pedal. I was interested in the bass fuzz they made for Jet too and sent an e-mail asking for a quote what seems like months ago and I never heard back.

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    If you've seen them on the Fuzz DVD they seem like super cool guys, but not exactly "business like" :D

11. What exactly is the Fuzz DVD?

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
  13. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    You've got some info above, but I must confess, that I dont' remember.

14. pompompom

pompompom

Dec 31, 2003
  15. dorfmeister

dorfmeister

Apr 3, 2008
    Any new thought on the interstellar overdriver or the DBA stuff in general?

16. dorfmeister

dorfmeister

Apr 3, 2008
    Just bought on of these last night from Analogue Haven. Will use it both with guitar and bass.

17. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    I bought one off of ebay a few months ago, the one with the master volume. It was pretty good on bass, but as you turned it up it lost low end and became buzzy/fuzzy sounding. It had a lot of potential to be amazing. I'm sure that the one bass version is outstanding. I sold it and emailed DBA repeatedly with no success. I was even tempted to go down to Brooklyn to talk to them in person, I really though the bass version would be that great. I never heard a thing through email though. Also, as far as I last saw, they're not doing custom work right now. One more thing, it doesn't work really well with active basses.....with a passive bass, it was on it's way to being exceptional.

18. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    really? it does have some very cool interview footage, but "great"? It's one of the poorest documentaries I've ever seen! The director comes off like a fanboy who knows VERY little about his subject.

Also, negligible bass content. :p

That said, everybody who posts in this forum should probably see it. Netflix has it...