1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Death By Audio Sound Saw...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wolfs, Apr 7, 2006.

1. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    The Sound Saw sounds intriguing...

First, here's my dilemma: I'm thinking of going the fuzz route. Right now I'm using a tube screamer copy and the DS-1 to get a mild-hard overdrive with one stomp and a frenzied distortion with a second stomp.

However, I can't stop thinking how much I liked the Big Muff the couple of chances I've had to play around with it. But if I go that route (which remains to be seen) I'd like to have the second stomp option like my current set-up, namely, with a second stomp all hell breaks loose.

Enter the Sound Saw (http://www.killerrockandroll.com/deathbyaudio/soundsaw.html). I'm not posting to solicit your august and sage opinions on whether I should continue with OD + Dist or go with the Fuzz + Crazier Fuzz setup (I'll let my ears sort that one out).

What I am interested in is your expertise in how to achieve this Crazier Fuzz that the Sound Saw seems to provide. It's an EQ pedal, right? Granted it has two channels so one can have two preset EQs at the touch of a toe. I'm not much of a techie, but from my understanding the first channel, with a sweep of the "tone" knob, selects a frequency to cut and boosts the other around it... that's straightforward enough.

What's less clear to me is what the second channel does. The website says it's "an active bass to treble blaster". I have to admit that I don't understand what that means in terms of an EQ setup. Can anyone explain?

Ultimately, I'd like to put an EQ pedal in front of a Fuzz so I could stomp once for Fuzz, and stomp twice (on the EQ pedal) for Face Melting Fuzz. What's a good flexible EQ pedal that might help me achieve this?

So that's two questions, really. Sorry for the overly long post :oops: Please ask any questions if this is not at all clear (like I said, I'm not much of a techie). Thanks!

2. Filter one cuts a notch in your sound and enhances the frequencies around it to create a harmonically full sound. The second Filter mixes between a high gain bass booster and a high gain treble booster...the knob just mixes between the two...sort of like blending between a trebly distortion and a bassy distortion...
    you were talking about the big muff, did you hear the bass guitar sample with the muff?
    sounds pretty cool :)

the pedal isn't actually a straightahead eq pedal...the first channel basically is a notch filter of sorts, it cuts one frequency, and boosts the others around it...the second is more or less of a boost, either a treble boost or a bass boost or somewhere in the middle :)

as for your other question, i don't know what you consider "face melting fuzz" :)

3. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Yes, the muff sample on the DBA Sound Saw website is mighty cool, that's what's got me so intrigued about this.

Your explanation makes sense to me, I think. So, what would both channels of the Sound Saw look like on a graphic EQ? Or is it not like that, as in, it can't really be expressed by a graphic EQ?

Ah, so you don't like my oh-so-technical term "Face Melting Fuzz"? :) I guess, the samples from the DBA site are close to what I'm talking about... I was interested in seeing if that EQing was approachable with other EQ pedals out there, does that make sense?

4. it could be shown on a graphic EQ, imagine setting the frequency at 500 Hz, i know DBA doesn't have numbers on there, but bear with me :)
    then imagine 500hz cut really low, while 450hz and 550hz would be boosted, and imagine a smooth line of EQ sliders after that just going back to 0 (no cut, no boos...it would sort of look like an upside down smiley face, with the middle being cut, and the ones right next to it boosted) and then imagine that upside down smiley moving left and right depending on which way you turn the freq. knob. as for the second channel, image that turning the knob all the way clockwise would give you a treble boost, and all the way counter-clockwise to get a bass boost. and then depending on where you set the knob, you will boost that frequency.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I believe you could achieve face-melting fuzz using "any" EQ pedal in front of "any" fuzz pedal. The reason I put them in quotes is you'll have to do some experimenting to find which combination of eq and fuzz units sounds good. Sounds like a job for the 5-band parametric pedal over on the other thread! :)

6. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Cool, that's what I thought it would look like, but I just wasn't sure. :bassist:

Awesome, that's what I wanted to know (basically)... that if I take an EQ pedal, I can use it to make some extreme sounds in conjunction with a fuzz pedal. Thanks so much... I'll have to check out this 5-band parametric pedal that you refer to... any other EQ pedals that are powerful and flexible that come heavily recommended?

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Actually I was kidding about the 5-band... it would be WAY overkill and it costs around $350. You could try the Boss GEB-7, or one of the MXR graphic eqs, or the Yamaha NE-1. Th MXR units are a little overpriced IMO, but they (especially the 10-band) are famous for being very powerful boosters as well.

8. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    Ha! I totally didn't notice the price... yeah, that's uber-pricey :eek:

But that's what I'm talking about, thanks for the EQ pedal recs :bassist:

9. yeah, DBA is very expensive...

just a question, but i am still interested...what is face melting fuzz? I'm not trying to give you a hard time or anything, i just hear that a lot, but i never gave it a thought to what kind of fuzz is of the face-melting persuasion...
    any sound clips?

10. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I really think the sound clips that were on the DBA site for the Sound Saw when the EQ filters are engaged would be considered Face Melting Fuzz... I just wanted to see if I could achieve that sound without spending quite that much dough. Thanks, guys, you both have been a big help.

11. no prob...thanks for the face-melting info :)

yes, an eq pedal could do the same thing as that sound saw...Boss makes them, behringer copies them :)

12. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I didn't realize the term "Face Melting Fuzz" was gaining wider use... I wonder why that could be... Maybe it's just a resurgence in the interest of the general Face Melting qualities and possibilities in music :D which I would consider a good thing.

13. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I recall a few people using the phrase "face melting fuzz" or "face melting guitar solo" in fx reviews on Harmony Central. Perhaps FMF is the new LOL?

14. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    I'll admit that "Face Melting..." entered my vocabulary from School of Rock, maybe that's where others picked it up, too?

I'm totally down to use FMF in place of LOL, though, that would kick (gl)ass

15. i guess when i hear face melting fuzz, i think of a pile-drivingly heavy distortion :)

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    +1. So much distortion that there is no "origanal" signal icon_twisted.