Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Death for The Sniper?"

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Nov 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Does the "Sniper" and his "sidekick" have a date with "ol Sparky" or are we gonna keep him on display, for generations to come?

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I am undecided about the death penalty in general... but what does disturb me a little bit is how they are trying to shuffle the trial around in such a way that the guy is most likely to get the death penalty.

Justice will take its course in any case, and whether he gets life or death, he is not going to be causing any more trouble, so why all the bloodthirst?

3. Lets see, what is it? 10 counts of 1st degree murder, and three counts of attempted murder? I think those are the numbers.

Fry their sorry asses.

4. Conserve Energy: Strap the Kid on "Daddy's" lap.

[​IMG]

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    That definitely disturbs me, too, thrash.

Personally, I'd like to see them get life with no possibility of parole. Killing them would (1) be too easy on them, and (2) cost taxpayers millions of dollars after all the appeals.

Lock 'em up and throw away the key.

6. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    What? You think it'll be free if they are locked up? How many millions of dollars do you think it'll cost to keep them in jail for life?

I say once they are convicted, a firing squad would be a great alternative. A box of bullets is cheap....

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It's common knowledge that it costs more to kill someone than to keep them in jail for life. Look it up. He doesn't think it's free.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I didn't mean to imply that the guy shouldn't get the death penalty, but he still has the right to a fair trial.

9. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Firing Squad
    or else..
    Hanging them from a post 4 to 5 inches above there height..
    what else?
    Burning at the Steak?...
    I know some people will think im a monster..
    But imo they deserve any death that happens to them..
    or else.. hmm..
    let em serve life... they get roomed with a gay guy... and in the prison showers... they make him have to pick his soap up instead of getting it off a rack like everyone else.
    MAHAHA

My veiw on capital punishment.. is let the murders die the same way.. there victums did...
    or say... a guy molested or raped a little girl or boy... They cut his genitals off..
    With all the EgoTESTICAL males today. .that would deffinitly slow down rape across america.

10. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I don't need to look it up. I already know the answer. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

I still think if the case looks as open and shut as it does, these two are responsible for a lot more than 13 shootings in the DC area. They are evil cowards, and, IMHO, they don't deserve to live out their natural lives.

11. British

British

Sep 5, 2002
    Well... What's the point of letting one state waste their time giving him a life sentence when the next state is just going to kill him anyway?

12. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Personally I had always thought that in clear cut cases such as this one appears to be, death is the only punishment that fits the crime.

However, I now think life, with one hell of a weekly beating and no chance of parole is a better one. And the victims families get to do the beatings!

Just a thought;)

13. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly

14. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    But isn't this missing the point to some degree? The point of the justice system is to rehabilitate criminals and deter would-be criminals. Okay, so let's assume this scumbag cannot be rehabilitated. Shouldn't the goal really be to keep him from doing further harm to society, instead of worrying over whether it might be "too easy" for him?

15. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Think that one is a little too nice ;)

16. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Kill them.

17. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yes I think that is the point. Funny sig. BTW

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Hmmm.....weekly beatings. I hadn't thought of that. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter, please. ;)

Odd--While I'll agree that it might be cheaper to just lock them up, and throw away the key, I don't know if the checkbook should be used to determine the best way to punish those guilty in this case.

I think the death penalty is overused in this country (um....Texas?), and is used in cases where the evidence is dubious, at best (not a fan of eye witness testimony in death sentence cases). That aside, if the prosecution's case is as strong as it appears to be, I won't lose any sleep if those two are sent to an early grave. I'm certainly not shedding any tears for McVeigh.

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's very well said. I happen to be against the death penalty in all cases: it's vengeance, not justice. I could go on at length, but I've done this debate too often recently on other forums. Besides, it tends to be a futile effort here in the USA, where most people are brought up to believe that if the State puts a prisoner to death, then somehow it really isn't cold-blooded murder.

20. pd_5string

pd_5string Admin: Accnt Disabled

Jan 23, 2002
    NY
    Umm Kay. You are right. It costs too much. Let him go free. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.