1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Death From Above 1979 Tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chris Riggs, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Chris Riggs

Chris Riggs

Mar 22, 2006
    Reading, PA
    (I just realized I posted my last DFA1979 tone topic in the bassists section. If someone, like a moderator or administrator, could delete that I'd appreciate it. And sorry!)

Okay well... if you haven't heard them, download "Romantic Rights" or practically any song by them. Their bassist takes the roll of the guitar, with an insane distortion.

Does anyone know how to achieve this sound? If you could help me out with it, I'd appreciate it. My band and I were thinking of covering one of their songs and I've been trying to find out how to get the proper tone.

Thanks!!

2. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    i'm pretty sure that if you do a search, you'll come up with some info.

Just a suggestion.

3. Chris Riggs

Chris Riggs

Mar 22, 2006
    Reading, PA
    You're right. I searched it before, and found out. But his setup is really complicated, and he uses modded amps.

EDIT: Oh wait... here's what I found out from his interview in Bass Player magazine.

Gear: Bass Rickenbacker 4003, Dunlop Tortex 0.73mm triangle-shaped picks
    Rig: Vintage Peavey and Acoustic heads with two Traynor 8x10 cabinets loaded with PA speakers
    Effects: ’80s Ibanez SC10 Super Stereo Chorus pedal and Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby wah-wah pedal

“My sound partly grew from not being able to afford anything new or ‘vintage-cool.’ It had to be ‘vintage-nobody-wanted-it.’”