1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Death from above distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rosewoodfigure, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Rosewoodfigure

Rosewoodfigure

May 21, 2012
    lewes
    Be been playing dfa for a while now And I still can't work out how he get the weird ass distortion on most of his songs, I know they are all different but dose anyone know what pedals he uses or even better how to get the sou d. Cos even if you play them note perfect it'll never sound right... Thanks

2. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    He got the distortion on those recordings from the built in fuzz on acoustic 470 heads.

I think he was also known to use peavy f800b from time to time.

As for a pedal that sounds like it...wouldn't know one off hand. It does sound huge though.

3. Niff

Niff

Mar 18, 2007
    New Zealand
    in lieu of being able to run two solid state heads through two 8x10s loaded with PA speakers, run a harsh distortion with slight chorus effect before it. closest you will get without replicating the whole rig. don't forget roundwounds and a pick.

4. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i can come close with my sb-2 and my mesa d180 through an orange115, my fenders don't have the dark tone or the hi pickup output of the g&l

5. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I'm a big fan of this band even though I don't play bass like this at all, and I was aware of how he got his distortion, but this quote from a Reddit AMA they did the other day is pretty great:

Just don't try that with a Class D amp...:bag: :D

More good stuff here: http://www.reddit.com/r/tabled/comments/2enkvq/table_iama_we_are_rock_band_death_from_above_1979/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  6. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    It might be similar to the built in fuzz on the old acoustic 360+ preamps? If so there are some builders who make clones of the preamp or just the fuzz circuit. They can be pretty expensive though.

7. this sounds like a john k question.........

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Heard of folks who like his tones having good results with the Tronographic Rusty Box.