Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Death From Above-style od/distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fish man, Mar 5, 2006.

1. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    So yeah. I need the ripping destructive screaming bass sound like DFA 1979. I need it bad. :help:

suggestions?

setup: MIM precision through Eden NC 212.

2. every thing and a little info. Straight from jesse keller himself

amp 1:
    - peavey f-800B
    (800 watts, solid state, square wae distortion)
    - 1971 traynor YBC-810 (8X10") infinite baffle cab w. paper edge speakers
    (cloth like on SVT speakers doesnt have enough high range, half the speakers are from a 1969 YBC-810)

amp 2:
    - acoustic 450B
    (300 watts, solid state)
    - traynor YBC-1 cab
    (Same as above)

bass:
    - 1974 gibson grabber w. custom bridge

pedals:
    - 1893 ibanez stereo chorus
    - crybaby wah (custom range)
    - morley a/b box (for switching between bass and synth)

synths:
    - 1984 roland JUNO-60
    (single osc, generally boring sounding)
    - korg microKORG
    (only used as vocoder)

now you can all go out and try to buy these things and make them more expensive for me to get later.

the sound is basically all as a result of the amp distortion. the peavey was originally made by peavey to be thier version of the ampeg SVT (originally designed by traynor and called the 'super custom special'). tube bass heads have a much slower attack than solid state, and they are generally more problematic so i dont use them.

as soon as we get some more money, im having one giant custom amp made exactly as i want. some people ask why i dont use SVT fridge cabitnets and the reason is because they were designed to make as much sub bass as possible. i get a huge amount of sub just through having 16 10"s and insane power. ive tried lots of different amps but nothing really compares to the ones i have. its a vary tricky sound to record since its tone is a combination of many things a microphone cant really pic up, like the gut shaking part.

xo

j f k

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Hmm... We do have an Effects forum. Why don't you try a search there? There are tons of threads on distortion.

Moved.:bassist:

4. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    oops my bad... i guess it has something to do with me never having left the basses forum

5. I get a fair approximation with my DOD 250 with the gain cranked.

6. jiant.

jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    The only time I've experienced distortion exactly like his is out of my drummer's dad's old bassman 50 silverface 50 watt tube bass head. It roars just like dfa 1979, they're decently cheap too.

7. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    and heavier. An SVT2 must weigh 75-80 pounds. I'm using an SVT3 which is about 20 pounds and takes up 2 rack unit spaces.
    They also are the size of a fridge and weigh 165 pounds. Unless you have roadies (or dedicated groupies), these cabinets are impractical. I prefer a pair of 4x10s. Better yet,a 4x10 and a 1x15 to get that deep sub sound.

8. fish man

fish man

Nov 14, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    hmmm... I'm not really in a position to buy a new head/cab/amp. Is there a pedal that would get me close to that kind of sound. I'm not looking to duplicate that particular sound, I just want that level of distortion. I have been told that the Ibanez Phat-Hed has pretty screaming distortion capabilities, but I'd like to hear from some more people first.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Take ANY distortion pedal, any one at all, and put a nice booster pedal in front of it. Just slam that input. Especially since you are looking for an over-the-top screaming sound. Seriously: put a 20dB booster in front of whatever crappy dist pedal you have lying around.

10. I remember reading the old bassplayer mag article on them and Jesse was apparantly also a electronic genious and took a rick, rewired the pickups to have no resistance, AND THEN took it to the amps and adjusted the amount of grind from the gain......in short, if your looking for something close, get yourself a nice cheap bass you won't really give a $H!T about (accept for the fact it works......lets say a nice cheap ibanez), replace the pickups with something decent, go to a tech and point for him to rewire the pickups with no electronic resistance.....you'll have a start

11. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

you mean like bypass the pots and straight to the jack?

12. ok, now i'm dumb but i'll try and put this throug easy enough so that i'll look like i know what I'm talking about....all pickups whether it be for guitar or bass have a certain amount of resistance to their signal in order to produce what is called a "clean signal" to be sent to the amp. this is why we can have the controls of our passive (and active) basses cranked and still get clean goodness (so long as something not that earth shattering is dialed in). in removing resistance from the wiring of the pickups, you are in effect sending THE ENTIRE signal of the pickups through the circuitry with no leash on it, and since it is so high powered it sounds like a "dirty signal", which might be remedied a bit by turning down the volume pots on our basses, but nonetheless it'll still be a sorta dirty signal

13. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    +1...-the crappy dist. pedal part. I would find something that's specifically square wave and THEN pound it. I've gotten something similar to his with my double muff (set to double) right before the dist channel on my mxr DI. Dial in a bunch of highs, it does the trick.

14. My jekyll and hyde does it very well. Plus its a great and versatile 2 pedal in one. Once i get my recording stuff this week i'll post a clip or two for you.

15. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

i still have no idea what you're talking about. pickups are magnets and wire. seems the resistance would be in the pots. specifically the tone pot which has a capacitor on it.

once i wire the pickups in my bass in series straight to the jack. sounded good. lots of feedback though.

16. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    2 pedals will nail the sound you're after....

1) Prescription Electronics Depth Charge. This gets the fuzz. I know others are suggesting distortion or overdrive, but in my opinion fuzz is what really gets his tone.

2) MXR Bass DI or Sansamp Bass DI after the fuzz. With the MXR, engage the color switch and adjust the EQ to taste.

Hope this helps.

17. Looking forward to it!

18. That was a bump from the dead BTW. :p

19. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

20. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    DFA 1979 doesn't have a guitar player, so Jesse can pretty much use any dirt pedal and not get lost in the mix since he is playing with no one else (besides percussion). If you took his setup and added a guitar player, you probably will get buried in the mix.