1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Death Metal Amp??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jfreeman96, May 17, 2012.

1. I'm new here, but I joined because I was wondering what a good amp for death and thrash metal is. My budget is about $500, I can maybe go a little higher. I don't know too much about sound and can't describe what I want in those terms. I'm thinking Hartke, Ampeg or SWR, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!:bassist:

2. tjnkoo

tjnkoo

Apr 19, 2011
    Metro Atlanta
    Check out some Peavey amps. I'm not in that genre much, but peavey's are used by alot of those guys. Ampeg is also a consideration(my rig is an Ampeg), but will probably cost more.

3. Hi and welcome to TB.

No less than a good 215 or 410 cab with 300 to 500 watts - unless it’s a younger band with two guitarist in a volume war - then you’re going to need to add some more oomph. Also you’re not going to get much bass rig for only $500 not even used - you need some real bass power bro. \M/

Horrorble likes this.
  4. CnB77

CnB77

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    Presumably you want something very loud
    Is the 500 including cab, or just for a head (or combo)?

The Hartke LH500 gets good reviews, but I'm not sure how it would sound with death metal (you mightn't have enough mids with it to be audible). A peavey head will do you good, they're the essence of big, loud, and cheap. Also a Traynor Mono Block if you can find one.

Otherwise, anything powerful and with a good EQ section can dial in the tone you want, like the Carvin up above.

5. MrFred

MrFred

Mar 25, 2007
    Honolulu, HI
    Go with Peavey. I started off with a peavey mark vi which I got for under 200. Built like a tank, but definitely a back breaker. Good thing about the amp is that you're able to run it at a 2ohm load safely, making cab shopping a whole lot easier... Meaning, if all you can find are used 4ohm cabs, you can still run 2of em with no problems. (that's what happened to me cuz hawaii has slim pickings when it comes to music gear). Maybe not the best sounding type of setup, but I was a broke high school/college kid and it still got me through 50+ gigs before I upgraded.

Btw... I was able to keep up volume-wise with 2 guitar half stacks and a very heavy handed drummer in metal band.

6. It's for a head and a cab, probably used.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Gallien Krueger 800 RB or 700 RB-II (you can find them for roughly $300)

4X10 of some sort

8. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    GK 1001RB-II was my choice at the time after my SVT-II wasn't loud enough :eek:. It cost me $375. I ran it through an Ampeg 810 I got lucky to find at $75.

9. grendle

grendle

Mar 4, 2011
    Central FL
    +1

Or find a used hartke 3500 head and / or cabs. Shop used,lots of good stuff out there. Gk and hartke will give the best volume for dollar. A used peavey would work too ( fire base maybe?)

10. A two ohm stable head will give you a lot of options on cabs. 8 Ohm 210 and 4 Ohm 410 together? no prob. Two 4 Ohm 410's? no prob. Three or four 8 Ohm 115's? No prob. As you double the speakers you gain 3 dB, as you double the wattage applied to the system you gain another 3 dB.

11. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    Get a used 4 10 at 4ohm cab and a 300 to 500 watt head. That should do it.

I'd suggest you spend maybe 100 dollars more if you can get it to open up your options a bit.

As far as the head goes try to spend about 300 to 350:
    GK800RB
    Solid state ampegs, my choice being either svt350 or 450 in used condition
    Acoustic 370
    Older sunn heads

Cabs get a decent used 4 10 and you're set...

12. kenvh6

kenvh6

May 2, 2012
    Los Angeles, Ca
    I'm in a punk thrash metal band. I recently went back to GK and the sound is great. 1001RB II with 2 4x10 SBX plus 800 watt cabs. We are loud, so I may have to move to a 2001RB. You can get a used 1001RB II with a 4x10 cab and you will be set. Might be close to your price range, maybe $100 more.

13. GK's stuff sounds great. Evan Brewer from the faceless was using a Hattie Hydrive cab when I saw them that sounded really good. Mesa also sounds really good. And, of course, everyone and their brother uses Ampeg.

14. jmmadar

jmmadar

Apr 13, 2011
    Hey, I'm in a death metal band, in the line of Vader, Immolation, Dissection, Deicide etc...

Is that budget including cabs? Just to warn you, in this kind of music, you're gonna have to drop some serious $$ as a bass player eventually, 750 watts through two 4x10 goliaths ended up not being enough for me. Remember opening for Inquisition in a big venue with no house PA, thought I was gonna melt the thing (granted while I love the SWR tone, it's not the loudest per rated wattage). It's nothing to do with the guitars, it's the drums...
    For this kind of music, SWR is the way to go, try to get the older used USA stuff. SWR has a real crystal clear, punchy, middy sound. That's what you need to cut through, you don't want that warm, round, dark, muddy sound for this kind of music. Any death metal bassist worth his salt will tell you, you need as crystal clear a tone as possible to contrast tremelo picked, overdriven guitars. If you sound dark, muddy, or overdriven it will just blur the overall sound of the band and make it less intense. SWR will keep the riffs evil, no joke.
    I'm still playing my SWR bass 750 (pre-fender,US), but now have it paired with an Eden WT1000 power amp, so I've got a 1700 watt rig (looking into a warmer, rounder preamp to use with the eden for my jazz ensemble.)
    Oh yeah, one more thing, go with the 10"s for this kind of music, gives you a lot more punch and clarity and bang for your buck as far as volume. I'll sometimes throw in some 15's in addition to the tower for some woof for bigger shows, but your 8x10 or two 4x10s are gonna be your go, even in lower tunings. I'd really recommend the older used bass 750 or sm900, most the shows were you might need more power than that you'll have a good house PA.If you're patient and watch craigslist and ebay for a while, you'd be surprised how cheap these will go for sometimes. Good luck! oh yeah, if you want to hear my SWR in action check out here
    www.reverbnation.com/disfigurement

Horrorble likes this.
  15. jmmadar

jmmadar

Apr 13, 2011
    There's a video of us opening for Deicide on that link where you can hear the bass pretty good

16. Another Death Metal Bassist here. I agree with the post above about what to look for with tone. Especially if you are going to be doing alot more technical riffs you really dont want a dark round tone.

I'm running a Carvin B2000 into a GK 4x12 Neo with a Sansamp BDDI(still testing it out) infront.

This rig works great for me. The B2000 gives me way enough power for any gig I could need, and the 4x12 destroys the room everytime with a very clear tone.

Basically you can get away with any brand of gear if it was you think you want to sound like.

For basic volume needs worry more about how much speaker area and how sensitive they are over how many watts your head makes. One of the low power GK head with a 8x10, 4x12, 2x15, or whatever will give you tons more volume then a higher power head with half the speaker area.

In conclusion get a 700RB or something similar in wattage by any brand you like and get the cab with the most amount of speaker area as possible (I know thats a over generalization and some cabs are more efficient with less speaker area, but i'm just trying to give a general rule of thumb). And if there is ever a cab or head you're curious about search TB for info or ask. There has to be at least acouple who have used every cab or amp you could find out there.

Sorry for the long post :D

Horrorble likes this.
  17. If you have the coin a fEARful 1515/66 paired with a rack set up will be louder than any commercial cab. I use an IPR 1600 bridged with an ART pro channel II.

18. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    I'm in a death metal band and use a Carvin BX1500 (Bridged at 4 Ohms = 1500W) and run that into a fEARful 66. I can destroy small buildings, and I'm only tuned down to Drop C.

19. +1
    A BX1500 or B2000 would be a great pairing with a 1515/66.