Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Death Metal Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Davis, May 9, 2001.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I am searching for a new 5-string bass. I play in a death metal band, but i HATE those two note bass songs, i tend to play more of a jazz type. does anyone know of a couple (or at least one) that has a really low, deep, but rich sound?

2. BassicRob

BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    do you have a budget?

Check out musician's friend (www.musiciansfriend.com) and see if they are still clearing out last years Spector NS5CR models

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I think my Musicman Stingray 5 is good for thrash metal, but that's different, isn't it?

4. Wawicks are AWESOME for metal. They cut like a knife, but that doesn't sound like what you want. They're great if you want to be heard through the mix.

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    i do have a budget, thrash metal is a little different than death metal, and i do plan on being heard in some of the songs.

6. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    btw, about my last post. thats not my band, its just one of my favorite death metal bands around.

7. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    hmmmmm... I never really thought of COF as a death metal band. They seem pretty black metal to me, but there's a fine line between the two I suppose. The vocals seem "black-ish" to me.. anyhow, When I saw Morbid Angel, the bassist/vocalist wsa using a Rich bass and it sounded pretty good. I don't personally like them very much (Rich basses) but they seemed to work well for him.

8. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    well, death metal and black metal have no real difference to ME, some bands do, most dont. my band plays music more like Cradle of Filth, just w/ more bass. anyway, ive heard about morbid angel and the bassists rich bass. they are ok basses to me, but i will look into it.

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    COF ARE black metal. They´re often mentioned in Metal Hammer. But IMO the best black metal band I´ve heard is Dimmu Borgir.
    But anyway, to stay ON topic, I know that Alex Webster uses Modulus, so maybe you should check them out..

10. slippy_6_finger

slippy_6_finger Guest

May 10, 2001
    Herrin IL USA
    sicplayer, nice picture you hade a little bit above, I am a huge cradle of filth fan. Well me pesonally, I like a black BC Rich 5 stirng warlock, I have one for my death metal band. When I first played the warlock it felt weird, but now if I go back to a normal body it feels weird. I guess I just got used to the warlock.

11. slippy_6_finger

slippy_6_finger Guest

May 10, 2001
    Herrin IL USA
    Well although, I find I don't use the 5th string that much, you don't need it. Now for jazz yes. For metal....eh..well every once in a while a band like Korn or Orgy willmake a 5 string work. I am not saying it a bad thing to have, but I don't use it as much as I ever thought I would. So if you are switching from a 4 to 5 think about it first.

12. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    so, two ppl recommended a Rich bass, i will check those out. hopefully i can get a new job soon to afford one!! i will also check out the others, i really like the warwicks, i have played them b4, but i dont have that kind of money!

13. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yamaha RBX765A sells for like 500 bucks new.
    And looks cool in green too :D

14. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    I wanna be a pirate too!

15. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    My advice if you choose to play/buy a Rich bass is to get an American bass not the NJ series copy... There is a big quality difference. P.S: I just bought a Modulus and I LOVE IT!!

16. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i suggest you a bass equipped with EMG pickups.

17. progbass, what model did you get??I also have a modulus...genisis 5. I just love this bass.

18. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Warwicks are very nice for Metalish music.. it has that very nice low tone, which u can hear and a nice punchy mid and nice highs which could be heard in the mix with the heaviest distortion. but definately... try it out with the band.. basically any kind of bass works for any type of band... depending on what kinda sound arrangements etc... are made.. but some basses are better off with certain kinda music... like u wouldn't really use an Ibanez for Jazz or you wouldn't really use a Ken Smith in metal. :D

DM:D

19. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    it's a 2000 Quantum 6.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't see why not.

Anyhow, don't bother with the BC Riches. Absolutely terrible basses. The USA ones are fine, but you can't afford one if you can't afford 1 foreign made one. Hell, you couldn't afford one if you could afford 5 foreign ones. Besdies, they have ugly ugly sounding pickups, bad fretwork and woods, finish flaws are common, average neckjoints, etc. And they really don't sound very good at all. I'd stay away. Just imo.