Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Death Metal

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by 43% burnt, Feb 24, 2006.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    What are your favorite Death Metal bands? My favorites in the genre are: Death, Suffocation, Nile, Morbid Angel and Necrophagist. I tend to gravitate to the more extreme technical bands in the genre. Thier musicianship just blows me away. I think Nile & Suffocation are the kings of Death Metal right now. They both make pretty much the most brutal technical metal on the planet. They also bring an intersting approach to it.

On the other hand, IMO there's alot of mediocre sounding bands in this genre. Not that they are bad musicians...just not very interesting. Generic sounding if you will.

What are some of you favorite Death Metal bands or albums?

What would you reccomend based on the other bands I mentioned?

2. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Some of the most impressive Death Metal albums I own:

Nile "Annhililation of the Wicked" & "Black Seeds of Vengeance"
    Suffocation "Souls to Deny" & "Despise the Sun"
    Behemoth "Demigod"
    Morbid Angel "Covenant"
    Necrophagist "Epitaph"
    Death "Individual Thought Patterns"
    Carcass "Heartwork"
    Cannibal Corpse "Hammer Smashed Face EP"
    Obituary "Slowly We Rot" & "Cause of Death"

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Morbid Angel and Carcass are my favorites, those bands never tire me even if I don't normally listen to extreme stuff all day every day.

Nile - In Their Darkened Shrines is quite possibly my favorite death metal album. Okay well, behind Domination and Heartwork that is. :D

Edge of Sanity were great, Crimson is class all the way through.

Mithras and Gojira are probably the only modern death metal bands that really turn my head. Awesome stuff right there.

4. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    The most amazing/impressive Death Metal album i own is Necrophagist's 'Epitaph' great bass work, guitaring, and drumming, its just insane, ive already got my ticket for when they play Bristol.

I also like sleep terror, and Decrepit birth, good stuff.

5. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I co-produced a local Death Metal band, called RiZeN. Some people love them, others think they suck. I think they're pretty good. But to each his own

http://www.myspace.com/rizen

6. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Necrophagist is the sickest metal band I've heard in years!

My buddy gave me a Decrepit Bith CD...Sheer brutality. I couldn't get too into it at the time, cause i was digging som softer more melodic stuff. I'll have to give it another shot.

7. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I'm listening to Mithras on iTunes right now...Holy Moly!

Edit: I just bought 'Forever Advancing Legions' This is my type of DM. Excellent reccomendation.

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I was never a big fan of the american death metal bands. I went more for stuff like old Entombed, Edge of Sanity, older Hypocrisy, Seance, Dismember, ETC...The American bands just all started to bore me after a while. Granted, I couldn't play half the stuff that they play, but I need melody in my life, not just technical stuff. Granted, I did like a lot of Morbid Angel's stuff, up to Domination, and I did like Deicide's first 2 albums. But when you get into the gorecore bands like Suffocation (I did like some songs off of Breeding the Spawn), Cannibal Corpse, and the like, I just wasn't interested anymore.

9. I have to agree with this list for the most part (not suprising though, 43% Burnt and I seem to have very similar taste).

I'd add Carcass "Swansong"
    Death "Human", "Symbolic", and "Sound Of Perserverance" and all the Atheist albums to this list though :bassist:

10. Napalm Death - Enemy to the music business
    and some cryptopsy albums
    and every Macabre album

11. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    Lately I've been listening to:
    Athiest - Unquestionable Presence
    Athiest - Elements
    Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
    Opeth - Morningrise
    Vader - Revelations

Recommendations:
    The Berzerker - Any
    Deicide - Scars of the Crucifix (Kronos)
    Fear Factory - Demanufacture
    Opeth - Still Life/Blackwater Park
    Vader - All

12. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I pretty much second everything on this list but I would also add Cryptopsy "None So Vile" as one of my favorite death metal albums ever.

You should check out the band Spawn of Possesion they have some Mp3 on their site. To me they sound like a slightly less technical Necrophagist, almost a cross between them and Cannibal Corpse. Their album Cabinet is awesome.

13. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Opeth - Interesting death metal, their whole catalogue is worth a look.

Bloodbath - Not technical at all but catchy songs and riffs, all their stuff is good but Reserection Through Carnige is a favorite of mine.

Necrophagist - These guys are the most tech ive heard ever of a death metal band, they are tight live aswell.

Death - Classic.

Vehemence - Did some cools stuff, good vocals. Could have gone far.

Blood Red Throne - Just brutal.

14. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Cynic ruled..but not a lot of people liked them. I got a chance to see them live years ago before I heard the disc, and I was blown away.

15. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    For technical death metal, I recommend taking a look at Psycroptic, and Atheist, the latter especially if you're looking for technical bass playing.

Some of my favourite bands in the genre besides the afformentioned ones, are Vader, Anaal Nathrak, Amon Amarth, Cryptopsy, Death, Lykathea Aflame (very good, little known, very techncal metal, everyone MUST check these guys out!), Necrophagist, and Opeth.

16. YES! ATHEIST! Great band. Roger Patterson had fantastic stuff going.

Necrophagist is my new guilty pleasure...so tech...so heavy...so fast...so hooky.

Death is obvious, I just bought "Human."

Oh my beloved Carcass..Jeff Walker's voice is a true trademark, he's fantastic. And those guitar harmonies on "Heartwork?" YOU CAN'T TOUCH'EM! Beautiful and haunting.

Opeth counts, right? They're incredible.

Salem is doom/black/death metal from Israel. Very political, poignant, and talented.

Orphaned Land is prog/doom/death and very spiritual and dynamic. Great incorporation of Middle Eastern Instrumentation.

Sepultura- CHAOS AD! Great record, I need to get their older stuff..

Nile is very atonal at times to me, they're just tuned so very low...but I dig their intensity and obsession with Egyptian mythology. Lashed...to..the slave stick!

That's all I can think of.

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    I can't believe I forgot about Hypocrisy. Really one of my favorite bands, but I haven't really listened to them much for a few years now. Their self-titled, Abducted, and The Final Chapter are freakin' amazing.

18. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Yeah man, its a shame there guitarist 'Christian' left, but its been a week now and they have found a replacement for the tours..

Heres them live in Hungary on january 2006, 7 downloadable videos :D

http://www.neuroticband.com/necrophagist/

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
  20. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I wouldn't really count Sepultura as death metal, but my god man if you think Chaos A.D. is great you need to listen to Arise or Beneath the Remains.