death or Goth metal bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by I am legend, Jul 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. What kind of bass or setup would someone recomend for a Death/goth metal player? ANY advice what so ever would be MUCHo helpful
  2. David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    Five String Bass
    Any Combo or Amp with 10" Speaker.

For the bass, I would recommend the Esh-Stinger (; in the Real Gothic Edition.

For the Amp... well...

Some1 else please..

3. i'd say go for the Ibanez EDC705, which is a very nice metal-bass, both in looks and tone.

or.. if your budget is less limited.. for for a warwick.. :)
  4. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    a friend of mine uses this bass in a goth metal band. sound really deep and refinished in trasparent black looks quite evil too...
  5. As we all should know i am in a death metal band. I have a 5 string Washburn, good tone for metal i must say. Plus of all the metal shows i have been too, even four string washburns are the most common.

For an amp, steer away from combo's, harder to upgrade IMO. Stick with a nice mellow sounding head and usually put it through a 4X10 cab or a single 15 can be good if you're just starting out.

Have a low action on your bass as it allows for faster runs etc. passive or active basses doesn't really matter, but a active is good to refine your over all tone.

In Metal the key is phatness, my guitarist always says how fat the bass sounds, its amazing how it compliments and stands out. Try and get a amp that has punch to it, really makes ppl go "yeah!"

Apart from that, its personal preference. I wouldn't have suggested an Ibanez, have seen them in one or two metal shows, and it didn't seem to hack it... I am coming from personal experience here, it may have worked really well for others....

6. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    B.C. Rich basses have that look to them. I've only played one B.C. Rich and it was souped up or something because it had a ton of switches on it. Anyway I thought it sounded nice and fat but I don't know how it would sound in a band setting.
  7. Manni

Jul 30, 2001
    BCRs are well known for theit active electronics. Some of them look like a cockpit. :) AFAIK the bich-bodystyle was introduced just to have enough space for the so called full electronics. Take a look at this one:

I would say the best bodystyle for a goth or death band would be the beast:

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Don't forget to put some goth knobs on that thing -
    :D (Hugz Custom Knobz) -

9. .... that is like... soo passe :0
  10. hold on, do you want a bass that sounds good for metal, or just one that looks scary or tough or something ridiculous like that? i personally think a p-bass would do just fine.
  11. yeah, that's why i mentioned the warwick :)
  12. rickbass

And your point is?........(like the whole genre?)
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That was cold!:D
  14. rickbass

Yeah, you're a bad influence on me, Jeff ;)

Seriously, if the someone wants to play it, that's cool. It's just, I don't see anyone in the genre touring or charting any music. And the BC Rich goth instruments are showing up on music store closeouts.

But, so what if someone likes playing it? Hell, I know a bassist making an adequate living off of friggin' cowboy music :eek:
  15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I agree, if your going for one that SOUNDS good for metal. then a p-bass will do nicely. i belive that all chi cheng (deftones) plays are P-Basses. i play in a metal band, and all i use are p-basses. They can get low, there punchy, and (thank god because i dont have that much money) are really hard to kill. i raised it a little to high, and a celing fan hit it. i droped a jeep cheroke back hatch on it, Droped it on cement, and wacked it into to many walls to mention. and its still fine.

O god, i sound like a fender spokesman.
  16. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    What kind of crazy comment is THAT? You obviously dont know anything about music.
  17. I'll stick to just the bands that have toured this summer.

Pantera, Slayer, Morbid Angel, Static-X, Megadeth, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Anthrax, Rollins Band, Black Sabbath, and about 100 others that I'm too lazy to type out.

If you don't like metal fine, but I really wish people would get educated about it before they talk out of their ass.
  18. sorry, i forgot to take my medication yesterday... i'm better now.

I am legend: get a very very pointy bass!!
  19. Go for an ESP Bass, i never hear anyone talk about them on here (either from bias or lack of experience with them) but I have a 1998 B-4 and it not only looks metal, it sounds fantastic.

I'm in a metal/melodic hardcore band and it covers the full spectrum from getting great bright, punchy pick tones to getting very warm fingerstyle sounds.

The P/J pickup configuration is the best that I have played for with metal..... If you can't find an ESP get a Fender P bass Special....that was what i was going to get, but i got one heck of a deal ont he ESP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.