Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Death - What album is most progressive?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chaosMK, Sep 25, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I just started getting into Death and only have a few songs of theirs on a CD. I am wondering which albums of theirs are the most progressive/tech metal sounding. I used to listen to a ton of death metal back in the day and have been there & done that. Any pointers? I am on a budget and can never find their songs on file sharing networks.

2. The sound of perserance, definitely.

3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Awesome band, definitely one of my favorite metal bands of all time. While all albums are good, I recommend these for their most tech stuff.

"The Sound of Perseverence" was the last album before Chuck died. Its probably some of their most technical an progressive stuff.

Also check out "Symbolic." My favorite all around album...very tech, kinda progressive.

Human is awesome too. Great band, enjoy. :bassist:

4. But be SURE not to overlook the Control Denied record. It's kinda like progressive-era Death with a more conventional metal singer. Steve Digiorgio rips it up, too. :bassist:

5. Eywin

Eywin

Sep 5, 2005
    Individual Thought Patterns is the most technical one in my opinion, and Steve Digiorgio is great on that album! He really rips it up! And the bass is quite upfront in the mix too!

:bassist:

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Individual Thought Patterns is my favorite. Followed closely by Sound of Perseverence and Human.

I am not a fan of Symbolic, that record has always lacked soemthing to me but I have no idea what specifically it is. The songwriting just didn't feel quite "on" to me.

If you want to hear some incrdible Death style death metal that hooks into an even weirder progressive direction check out Cynic.

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Oh yeah...Individual Thought Patterns is a great album.

Cynic was awesome too. You'd probably like Sadus. If you can find it, get Sadus "Swallowed in Black." Sick technical thrash/death metal with fantastic bass work by Steve Digiorgio.

Another band I've been meaning to check out is Control Denied. Its basically the sound of perseverence Death lineup +Steve DiGiorio...I can't imagine this would be anything but amazing. Anyone ever hear Control Denied?

8. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Yea... Control Denied is sick. Pick it up if you have the chance!!!

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Scream Bloody Gore is the opposite of prog...

10. Hahaha...yes. Yes it is.

11. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I was actually just going to mention Scream Bloody Gore was the most prog ;-)

12. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Yep, good stuff.

I think Individual thought patterns is my favorite.