1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

debating on our new guitarist

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by spacerust, Jun 4, 2012.

1. spacerust

spacerust

Feb 9, 2010
    South Texas
    Our band is an oldies rock n roll band that has established ourselves and everything is on the up and up. Now our current lead guitarist is raw but played with more feel and tried to stay true to the song. We decided to bring in an experienced lead and he's awesome and really added something to our lead parts but we didn't feel like a band. His first gig with us this last weekend went well but it seems more like a gun for hire. he's older and i think took away from our mojo, if that makes sense. Now we are debating whether to keep him our not. He's been wanting to pay with us because in our location no one plays what we play so we have the niche. W play oldies but our lead singers are both young, male and female, and that s what gets the attention is there youth. We felt like every other band I've seen with the new guy. It was my idea to bring him in since I've played with before at church but this is a while different thing. He easily is the best musician if he stays and can teach us from his experience and music degree but without him i think we were a little more real and raw. We don't have a problem getting gigs...we are booked all the way through August and we are playing a big community festival and im not sure what we should do. Any suggestions as to how to evaluate the situation?

2. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    It sounds like you're happy with the guy's skill and experience and that he's happy to have the gig. Sometimes it takes a while for someone to blend in well with an established band.

If the vibe is wrong, that's another thing. But, if you think you can learn something by being around him then why not just see how things go for a while before making a decision.

3. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Did you can the original guitarist for the new guy? If so, to bad so sad. If not why not use them both and let the older guitarist help you all become better musicians.

4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

If you don't need him don't keep him. I am a firm believer in trio's... pay goes 3 ways!

If he is money well spent keep him around, you could always keep him on as a hired gun, just call him when you need him, he doesn't have to be a full paid member to ply with you. He just deserves his pay, whatever it may be.

5. spacerust

spacerust

Feb 9, 2010
    South Texas
    No the other guitarist went to rhythm. This guy also adds keys, another lead singer if needed, and can help us expand our songlista lot faster than we were doing.

6. I'd give it more time. Mojo needs time to adjust.

7. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    Sounds like you may have a real jewel there. Especially if he is willing to help your orig guitar get better.

8. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    In other words... he has a pretty good chance of very quickly paying for himself (and more) by making you a better, more well-rounded and more marketable band... which over time should allow you to raise your price more than enough to cover his share. The fact that he can sing lead if needed is huge cause if your regular lead singer leaves the band, gets fired or even just has to miss a gig sick or whatever, you can still carry on.

I'd say don't bail on this guy too soon. If he's into the project I think the least you can do is give things a little time to jel cause he sounds like a guy another band would be happy to snatch up if you cut him loose too quickly.

9. The new guy is good, can make you better, but he's too old for your oldies band and spoils your "mojo?"

How did his contribution suddenly make you like "every other band you've seen" if you have a corner on the oldies market?

This sounds like the weirdest case of age bias I've ever heard.

10. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    There are a lot of tricks a Guy can use to appear younger on stage if mojo and image are concerned.

I struggle with age in my band. I'm 59 and I have to play stage right of a 29 year old.

View attachment 270596

11. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Yeah, I'm having a tough time wrapping my mind around the actual rub here - if there even IS one. It all seems so amorphous to me... :confused:

If your original guitarist is happy playing rhythm - or at least is not unhappy doing it - and the new guy is enjoying himself and is adding real value to the band, then it's hard to see any downside to this scenario.

On the other hand if it's something on which you just can't put your finger, yet your gut tells you to be careful, then you should pay attention to that. One possible approach is to go slowly. Agree as a band to give the guy a trial period of, say three months or so. Explain to the new guy that it's as much for his benefit as for yours, and is intended only to make sure that the chemistry is right for all concerned, and that he is truly a good fit.

The watchwords here are "tact" and "finesse". :meh:

MM

12. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Actually it almost seems to me like "multi-generation" bands are kinda the hip thing right now.

In my current band, our drummer is mid-20s, lead singer/BL is 30, I'm 46, and the two guitarists are both in their mid- to late-50s and our "mojo" is just fine. We pull two generations (sometimes 3) to shows and that makes our clients very happy.

So I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about the whole age thing. I think audiences are a lot more open about that stuff than they used to be.

13. bluewine

bluewine Inactive

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    What gets me is. I have seen guys my age, 59 audition when they know it's a much younger band and it's seems like they go out of their way to look old as hell when the show up.

I don't get that.

14. +1

I'm 53, and I work my ass off fighting the stereotypical old guy look. I take care of myself and dress to impress. As a result, I'm usually in better shape and cut a better figure than musicians half my age.

Just 'cuz you're getting up there doesn't mean you have to accept it and start driving slow and wearing diapers.

15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Hire him, man! You'll love it!

16. +1

Sounds like my band. We are just putting things together to start booking late summer. Drummer is 25, singer is 32, guitarist is 42 and I just turned 45. Thankfully the guitarist and I don't really look our ages or act it either when we play we have fun. Other than that we all are responsible adults which is nice.

17. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

I'm noticing a lot more men in their 50's wearing their hair long and dressing sharp. If these young snots don't like it they can close their eyes!! :D

18. Bert Slide

Bert Slide

May 16, 2012
    Louisville KY
    I saw a great oldies band recently that was made up of different ages. Some of these guys had been playing together since the 50's. The only guy that looked out of place to me was the younger guitar player who was playing some modern heavy metal looking guitar. I tried to buy the vintage pre-CBS P bass off the old guy playing it but he had bought it new and wouldn't part with it for any price.

19. Clapton's old and he's got a young band.
    Mcartney's old and he plays with a young band.
    There's loadsa mixed groups out there, I'd stick with it and give it a go

20. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    See below. My main band, from our gig last weekend:

(L to R)
    - Drummer (25-ish)
    - Rhythm Guitar/Fiddle/Vox (60-ish)
    - Yours truly (46)
    - BL / Lead Singer (30)
    - Lead Guitar (late 50s)