1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Debating Silencers vs. Powerflats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by LJ Thilver, Jul 24, 2007.

1. LJ Thilver

LJ Thilver

Nov 1, 2006
    Right now I'm using .100 DR Hi Beams, and my hands have been hurting from the tension, so I'm looking for something with less tension.

The SIT Powerflats, from what I've been reading, seem like the kind of sound I'm looking for, but they don't make them in .95's, only .100's. Would the tension on these be any less than the .100 Hi Beams?

Silencers, on the other hand, are supposed to feel looser, and they come in .95's, but I've heard they're pretty bright, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

Any recommendations?

2. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I haven't tried the Hi-Beams but have some Power Flat and Silencer experience.

I find the Power Flat groundwounds to be higher tension than same-size rounds (which makes sense as they are larger rounds ground down). My first set of PFs was .105 E and had too much tension for me (a first). I find the .100 E PFs to be equivalent to a "generic" .105 E set of rounds.

And I find the Silencers to match up with most other rounds - the .105 Silencers are somewhat equivalent to the .100 PFs (I use either .100 Power Flats or .105 Silencers). So you probably want to stay away from the .100 Power Flats if .100 DRs are more tension than you like.

The Silencers have almost all the brightness of nickel rounds with a slightly smoother feel and less fret & finger noise. I wouldn't call them dark at all.

If you really want lower tension and an organic sound you might want to spring for a set of TI Jazz Flats - they don't have enough tension for me but have a great sound.

3. LJ Thilver

LJ Thilver

Nov 1, 2006
    Thanks a lot. I think I'm gonna go for the Silencers. I'd love to grab some TI Flats, but I'm afraid my cash situation won't allow for it at the moment. Some day I definitely plan on trying them though, I've heard great things.