Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decades of Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tuomas, Sep 10, 2000.

1. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I know that every bass is an individual and every jazz is different... But just for the heck of it, what do you think was the best decade for The Good Ol'Jazz? or is it the 2000 model? Koren made copy maybe? Describe the best Jazz you've ever tried!

I'm in love with my 78' with EMG's that really make the house shake, but I've never had a change to try the 60's models, so for now I'd go with the late seventies...with the block inlays :)

2. Well, I would probably go with the pre-CBS versions. I've played a couple and they were definitely a different bird from all of the others. My MIJ "in the style of" '62 has quite a bit in common with the older ones and it's sweet. One time span I particularly shun is the 70's versions. The necks, though narrow at the nut, are definitely much thicker than those of the early 60's. That doesn't have an affect on the sound, just the playability. Individual examples from all of the decades have sounded very good.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I played a '76 jazz (I think). It was SWEET. It weighed a ton, had a great sunburst finish, all of the ashtrays, and it sounded amazing. It was only $1000, too, so if I was considering it against a 2000, why not spend the extra $80 and get the vintage? There was another one in antigua finish too, same price. It was sweet too, but not as heavy.

4. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    I have a'76 J on which I've changed the p/ups and bridge.it's a little heavy,has a ton of upper mids,not much sizzle or rumble compared to some fenders.The guy that sold it to me was honest and said he was getting rid of it because it was"topped out".That was in 1979,at the time I didnt know anything about the tone differences between Js and Ps.I only knew I liked J necks better.

Before that I had a friend who had a white J made in the 60's that had really strange p/ups.I now suspect they weren't original.Instead of round pole pieces it had sort of angular ones which stuck out like tiny lop-sided pyramids on top of the pickups.They had a soft spongy sound that was much warmer than the P bass copy I had at the time.

I've never play a bass as sweet as that one since.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Kind of a reverse opinion on this. I had a '73 Jazz, with the black fret markers, and then borrowed a late '70s Jazz when my P-bass was being worked on, and I really didn't care for either of them. Although I liked the neck on my '73, it just didn't give me the sound I wanted. In retrospect, I think it was too thin sounding. So, I guess that the '70s weren't the best years of the Jazz.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My '94 Jazz Deluxe V is by far the best Jazz I've ever played. What's more, it's the ONLY one I've ever played. Who'da thunk it?

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Unless, of course, you consider the Roscoe Beck V to be a Jazz. Now, there's a world-class J-bass.

8. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Um...aren't the new American Series Jazz basses...supposed to be the "best ever"? :)

9. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    No one here has had the time to beat one up for a while and see how it squeals. They are new.

10. JerryH

JerryH

Dec 13, 1999
    Helsinki, Finland
    Hi there folks and ... terve Tuomas!

I have '79 JazzBass that I bought in the early 80s. It has served me well and still is one of the best basses I have ever tried. The only minus is the weight. Although I have a real wide strap - I need a rest after couple hours of fun.

My MIM JB is coming close, but not that close. It is much lighter and not that dear to me (it is more like gig tool), so now I play more MIM. Maybe it is dump - man - I need to get back to my '79 JB.

11. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    Yeah, my jazz has some some weight problems too... I just came from a 5 hour rehearsal and my shoulders really hurt. No wonder, my Jazz is heavier than my 7 string!! It's almost as heavy as two late-90's stingrays.. well ok, not quite but you get the point.

I really like my jazz at the moment, but it has that common problem for many fenders: although it has really mid-heavy, warm groovy sound, for some reason the G string is a lot louder that the E.. I've tried many strings, worked on the pickups (actually that was the original reason for changing to EMG, but it didn't help that much. But the improvement in slap sound was tremendous!)

I tried out a 60's jazz today too and it was sweet. The only problem was that it was strung with some strings that propably were from the 60's too so I didn't get to hear the lively side of it's sound.

I'm really am going to find the perfect jazz someday :)