1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Decal Application Pic/Tutorial

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Musiclogic, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Fixed :)

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Thanks for the fix Paul

3. zdanny

zdanny

Sep 26, 2011
    I know this is an old post, but it is very helpful.
    Question - what do do when the neck in question is pretty heavily tinted from the factory?

4. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    you lightly sand with 600 to remove the wax and gloss, and start from there, the tint should be fine, but you need to create a tooth for the new finish to grab

5. Hi.

Thanks for posting the tutorial.

I'm not a decal kind of guy, but a fellow builder in a Finnish musician site is having a hard time attaching a printed (from a commercial decal set) light coloured signature (not his, the customers) onto ebony headstock veneer.

Something from the ebony seeps through the decal, renedering it unreadable. Obviously, laquering ebony is blasphemy, so what would You suggest?

Photo-etched stencils and such was suggested by other participients.

I suggested either a handwritten signature or carving the signature and filling the groove with a compound of his choice if required. The former didn't sink in ;), but he had thought the carving previously, but reserved it as the last resort.

Any insight is appreciated.

Regards
    Sam

6. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Thanks for the tutorial, it's really informative. It'll come in handy when I decide to customize a few basses of my own.

T-Bird, what's the URL to that Finnish forum, please?

7. Muusikoiden.net

There's not much going on in there though, makes the TB DB side look like a traffic jam :).

Regards
    Sam

8. **printing** :bag:

9. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Hey Sam, I am not sure when lacquering ebony became blasphemy.....LOL. I must be the great transgresser, as I have done a few acoustics with ebony backs and sides in lacquer....LOL

My suggestion would be just that, to apply a finish that seals the ebony, and by using a decal, it must be waterproof and smooth, you could suggest tung oil, but probably not going to be effective. Best I can tell you. Good luck.

10. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    A very timely tutorial as I am about to attempt to put a decal on a newish neck.

What kind of spray lacquer should I use? Any recommended brands or does any kind of spray lacquer work?

11. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    I prefer Deft, as it dries in less than a week.

12. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

REALLY appreciated!! Thanks for posting.

13. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Can you get this in a regular hardware store, or is it a special order kind of thing?

14. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Lowes carries it, cash and carry

15. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Cool. Thank you. Shouldn't be a problem, then. I work in NYC and will stop by Home Depot or a local hardware store-- whatever lunchtime permits.

16. Does the Deft stay clear or does it yellow?
    I'm doing an Olympic white headstock face.
    I was thinking of using Testors one coat clear. I figured if it is OK to use with decals on models it cant be too much different in this case....

What say you?

Nice tuitorial, BTW.

17. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    yeah, the Testors will stay clear, it's basically an acrylic enamel. Deft is lacquer, but really won't yellow over time, as it is also an acrylic. It's all about how you want the finish to come out. If you want a smooth glassy result, you will need 8 or 10 coats, some time and a good wet sanding regimen if you just want to protect the decal, and the slight orange peel look of spray and go is good, go for it, either product will do well for you.

...and thanks for the compliment on the pictorial ;)

18. Well, thanks for the quick reply!!

I am just a bit paranoid because I already toasted the first decal with dupli-color clear and I only have one left.

The tip about spraying the clear on the decal is key. I probably should have done that with the first one!
    I guess I will be done with this by next week if all goes well.

19. The more I research, I think the Deft stuff is going to be what I use.
    What white paint should I use if I'm going to spray the Deft lacquer over it?

20. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    I would use a white lacquer, I would look to see if Deft makes one, if not look to a commercially available one, I use a bulk color not available in spray can or small quantity. I have seen some in Lowes and Home Depot, but you can also get Reranch or Stew Mac stuff too.