1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Decal Application Pic/Tutorial

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Musiclogic, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Thanks for the info.
    You have been a big help for me.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Anytime;)

3. Question about step 12:
    Step 12: Begin spraying Lacquer on headstock with mist coats to set decal and finish. 3 mist coats, 15-30 minutes between coats, then apply 2 regular light coats, 30 minutes between coats, Dull with scotch brite(LIGHTLY) after 3 hours, and let dry for 24 hours minimum.
    Step 13: After 24 hours, lightly wetsand with 600 and foam block to even finish, wipe clean and let dry for 1 hour before spraying round 2.

What kind of scotchbrite pad and what kind of foam block?
    Grit??

4. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    I use a standard green scotchbrite pad. The foam block is just a piece of styrofoam cut to be a flat backer for a piece of 600 that I used dry between the first round of coats, and then after the second round of coats.

5. Oh, OK. I was looking at a Scotchbrite pad under my kitchen sink and it was heavy duty so I didn't use that. I just wet sanded with 600, using a rubber sanding block and it smoothed out real nice. I waited an hour and a half and then applied four light coats of Deft an hour apart from each other. The neck is resting comfortably now and will have to until Tuesday, so that is more than enough time for drying. I'll use the 600 again and wetsand, then after another hour or so (this is on Tues.) I'll recoat about 3-4 more times. I would guess at that point I should be OK to do the final finish sanding.
    It's looking pretty sharp now and I can't wait to get the bass put back together. I'll post a pic when it's done.

6. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    yes, at least 24 hours between coats, the 5-7 days before you can do your final wetsanding and buffing. Looking forward to the pics.

7. Will do a final 600 grit wetsand tonight and then three more coats. I still have the faintest lines showing around the decal (hard to believe) and I want it like glass.
    That will bring the grand (and most likely final total) to 15 coats.
    I need that bass done for a gig this Sat.

That Deft lacquer is awesome stuff.

8. 15 coats on.

Final wet sanding and buffing next. It looks really, really good.

Glad I haven't blown the house up with all the fumes!

9. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    it's an acquired high....LOL but seriously, I have experienced the blue flame whoosh. Back in 90 or 91, I was spraying a solid curly maple body in transparent orange for a well known guitarist of the time in Phoenix, and without thinking, after spraying the final 3 coats of clear, I was sitting on the steps at the entrance to my spray area(no booth, just a loft above the shop floor) and I lit a cigarette. There was the weird whoooosh, and a quick flash of warm. LOL Flashed off the fumes with the cigarette, and had a great singe job on my hair which was down to my belt. It's an experience you never forget. Now I have a nicely exhausted spray booth, and I quit smoking almost 6 years ago, so that won't happen again...LOL and I shoot mainly waterborne stuff now except for Vintage restorations

10. You must have crapped your pants!!

After I let the headstock dry for about 20 minutes I brought it up to my "bake" closet, where there's no air movement and the lightbulb all night keeps it warm. I then opened up the three lookout windows in my basement for about ten minutes.....we just had our first snowstorm and the wind was howling....the room aired out and I then turned the furnace back on. The heartbeat always races when I flick that switch! All is well, no "blue woosh" and I checked the headstock this morning........

WOAH! It looks like a factory...or dare I say better than factory job. I can't wait to buff it out.

Do I really have to wait seven days??? I have a gig on this coming Saturday 1/21 and a rehersal even sooner...in three. Bake it a bit in some heat lights?
    That Deft stuff really sets up hard... and FAST.
    Pics soon.

11. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Firstly, Baking? doesn't work on lacquer, the only way to get lacquer to cure properly and dry sufficiently is keeping air moving across the finish.(Put a small fan blowing on it) By heating lacquer you seal the outside and trap the solvent on the inner layers, making for a "Forever" soft finish. Most people do not understand this about lacquer. This isn't a catalyzed automotive finish, this is lacquer, and acrylic lacquer to boot out of a spray can, which means it has extra retarder in it, which also makes it dry slower. So yes, 5-7 days, you can make the call after 5 days, but personally, I wait 7 or more.

12. OK.
    The air movement makes a lot of sense.
    BUT, I have worked for a major Guitar manufactuer and I distinctly remember that we did in fact, use lights to "bake" the lacquer. That was when we had rush jobs and I know that it wasn't the norm. We usually let guitars sit for a couple of weeks on racks before they went to the buffer.
    I actually ran into one of the people that I worked with there and talked to him today about "baking".
    He said that if I put a small lamp with like a 60 watt bulb and put it in front of the headstock for like 3-4 hours, but not any more than that, it would be ok to do. He said that if I waited until Sunday night to do the super fine wetsand and buffing (48 hrs from now) I should be OK.
    Now I am confused. I have a fan in front of it right now as I write this. Probably will run it all night and day this weekend, maybe longer.
    I guess I could use another bass for the rehersal on Monday, keep letting the headstock cure until next Thursday night (that would be 7 days) and finish it on Friday sometime so I have it ready for the gig on Sat. I need to use this bass on Sat, no way around that at all whatsoever.

Arrrrgh!

13. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Washburn?

seeing as Round Lake is pretty close to Mundelein...LOL

14. Hamer

15. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    LMAO....of course. home of the 10 week finish

16. ;)

Anyway....the neck (headstock) is sitting in front of a fan and it will be there for a week.

I hope the fan can handle it. Never ran the fan every day and night for that long.

Any Hamer finish horror stories you can share??

17. Oh, and that closet where I kept the neck overnight with a light on...that light was in the cieling, the neck was on the ironing board, quite a distance from it.
    The light was on overnight just to keep the closet somewhat 'warm'. Probably didn't do anything except waste energy.

18. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    that was actually a good idea keeping the light on to keep the temp, that helps in the drying to have a constant ambient temp, room temp if you will....LOL I am sure it will look great when it's done

19. All done...

006-2.

009-2.

20. Musiclogic

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Nice job, looks great