Decal on top of poly?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by magic8161, Mar 28, 2018.

Tags:
  1. magic8161

magic8161 Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Milwaukee
    What year did fender start putting headstock decals under the poly or nitro or whatever they used?

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

When they switched from nitro to poly. Don't know the year but if you spray nitro on a decal the solvent would eat it...

magic8161 likes this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I don’t know the exact year, but it was after 1965, when CBS took over.

magic8161 likes this.
  4. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Nineteen sixty eight was when they started clearing in "poly." But the headstocks were clear-coated in nitro for another year or two.

magic8161 likes this.
  5. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    Year, or so? The front of the headstocks on basses were clear-coated in nitro until the mid 70's. That's why the front of those look really "orange" compared to the rest of the neck.

magic8161 likes this.
  6. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    By early '74 they were clearing with poly. When was the exact date Fender switched from aliphatic urethane to poly? Not easily found.

The orange tint is because nitro has a yellow cast to it. Poly's are blue. That's also the reason nitro looks "warm."

magic8161, 96tbird and Lownote38 like this.
  7. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    I had a '73 P bass back in '73. The headstock face was originally very clear, like the poly on the remainder of the neck. The yellowing on the headstock face developed over time. I wasn't aware of the different (nitro) finish on the face; I thought the yellowing was caused by the stage lights striking the face more than the rest of the neck.

-

magic8161 likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    From what I understand, the decals that Fender had when they used nitro, were made for nitro. When Fender went to poly, they discovered that it would shrivel the nitro decals up into a little glob. Since Fender had a... well, a lot... of those decals; and, never being ones to waste anything, they simply continued to use them - and finished the front of the headstock in nitro, until the old decals were used up. Then they started using "poly decals"...;)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021