1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Decal placement/style on Fender headstock with dark paint

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RBrownBass, Mar 5, 2010.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I'm about halfway thru my Jazzuar (Geddy body, Jaguar neck) project. Got the color coats on last week, now I've got the first clearcoats on both the body and headstock, and so the headstock will be ready for the late 60s-mid 70s decal as soon as it's been smoothed.

Note: yes, the decal is from someone not associated with FMIC -a counterfeiter, if honesty must accompany disclosure- but both the body and neck (and pickups and bridge and tuners and pickguard) are genuine Fender products, not Warmoth, Squier, Allparts or USACG, so please don't clutter this thread with opinions on whether the decal ought to be used.

Here's the dilemma: the color is Dupli-color Cordova Brown Metallic. Think chocolate. I know that Fender used only the black/gold "Fender" script decal on black headstocks (no "Jazz Bass" or any other black text, because it wouldn't show), but I don't know at what point they'd use the whole decal like you'd see on a natural headstock. I've never seen a factory Fender headstock that was darker than LP blue (which got the whole decal) but lighter than black. So should I use the whole decal or just the word "Fender"?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

EDIT: I'm cross-posting this in Basses under a different thread title so people who might actually own a dark headstock Fender can see it and chime in.

2. Not to sound stupid, but don't Jaguar's have Jazz necks to begin with?

3. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Thoroughly Nice Guy Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    They do (in a ballpark way- they are 1.5" at the nut, but the Jazz profile and radius have changed a bit from time to time, I think).

I get what you're saying. It's a Jazz body and a Jazz-dimensioned neck. If I blindfolded someone, handed them the bass and told them to play it, they'd say it was a Jazz. So why do I refer to it as a Jazzuar? I don't know, really, other than that the neck came off a Jaguar.

Any answers? Anyone?

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 29, 2020