Decay/Release Overdriven Fretted Note Bass Cab Response

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by svrn666, Oct 19, 2020.

1. svrn666

svrn666

Oct 1, 2020
    Hi all, trying to solve a volume (I think) problem I ran into yesterday while playing my bass.

Brand new bass, new strings, 5 string plugged into pedal board + pedal pre-amp into power amp. Pretty cranked on the gain.

Every time I fretted a note on the low B (low E) string from like 3rd fret on, the amp/cab sounded like it would sustain the note for about a second before it felt like it was “choked” and dropped in volume and then it sounded like it struggled to cut through, so it would come back up a little in volume and then drop back down. It wasn’t a smooth steady decay/release, it felt like a square wave in declining volume. It was pretty consistent in occurrence. Sounded like a bad fart haha!

These were single notes, just struck to ring out, the fretting was accurate, the bass and pickup height is factory set. The only new items in the mix are A) the new pre-amp pedal, B) the actual bass. Everywhere else on the bass, including chords on higher notes and just an open low B sustained and released very beautifully and consistently.

I will try to zero out the EQ on the pedal and see if that does anything. Any other ideas on what this may be? I tried recording on my phone but you can’t really make it out.

Bass: Ibanez 305

Thank you all!

2. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    Northern KY
    Cab fan, hobbyist
    Bass is new, but how about the battery?

Is there a compressor on?

Have you tried to replicate this running clean? Could you be causing some speaker compression and the overdrive is masking distress?

A couple thoughts.

Downunderwonder and Bassdirty like this.
  3. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Don't assume that the factory setup is good. This is especially so since it's only happening to notes on the lowest string.
    Also, try removing all pedals and go as direct as possible. If it's clean, add one component at a time until you find the culprit.
    What preamp, power amp and speaker cabinet are you using? This would help in case someone has had a similar problem.

BassmanPaul likes this.
  4. svrn666

svrn666

Oct 1, 2020
    I’ll double check the battery, the battery does operate the EQ on this particular model.

I have a compressor pedal but it wasn’t on since I have yet to set it up for the new bass.

It was hard to discern when it was clean, it was definitely more present when overdriven.

After doing some research on this forum it seems like I could be hitting the cabs to hard. I also remember the bass in the pre-amp EQ to be heavy in the 8-9oclock position.

Bassdirty likes this.
  5. svrn666

svrn666

Oct 1, 2020
    Copy. I’ll try process of elimination here.

The pre-amp is a Hilbish Sol Invictus, and the for the power amp, I used the power section of my Sunn Concert Bass into an Ampeg 410 8ohm cab. I do have a QSC GX5 dedicated power amp on its way.

I’m just stumped on it being either the bass or cab. I tried a 115 as well and the same results. I think I may be overdoing it on the speakers, maybe roll back Bass on EQ and volume.

6. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    +1 to battery, whether in the bass or in pedals as well.
    What amp and speaker cabs?
    Did this just start happening, or has it been going on for a while?

7. svrn666

svrn666

Oct 1, 2020
    Amp is a Sunn Concert bass with the preamp pedal running into the power section of the Sunn Concert bass + 8 ohm Ampeg 410. I am getting a dedicated power amp (QSC GX5). No this is a new issue. I am beginning to think it’s over excursion of the amp into cab even though I have matching impedance and the wattage isn’t over kill. The pre-amp maybe running very strong. (Hilbish Sol Invictus)

8. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    It doesn't smell like a power amp issue. My Peavey amp did that all through high school but it it had an aggressive compressor.