Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Decent 15"/18" cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BigBohn, Dec 19, 2001.

1. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I've been pondering over this for days and not asked a single question, yet I will today.

Over the days, I've been researching for a large driver to accompany my Eden D410XLT(8ohm) in mono-bridged with my Carvin DCM2000 (2000w@4ohm bridged). Since I'm not doing a bi-amp/stereo thingimabobber, just mono, I was thinking of adding a decent full-range, yet attenuated to lower freqs., cabinet rather than adding another 410XLT because I would want a beefier, hi-fi low end more than the loudness and volume of an 8x10.

Here are my preliminary selections:

Eden 118XL
    Eden 115XLT
    EBS-18T (the big mother!!! :D )
    EBS-18C (smaller model)
    BagEnd S-15 series
    S-18 series

How about that? Anything else worthy of checking out? Keep it all Eden? Does cabinet size make a difference? Any other questions I should take into consideration? Thanks for any help, guys!!!

2. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    BigJohn:

I sold sold an Eden 118XL because it was too much for the wedding band I play in. For awesome low end (and a good compliment to the 410) get an Eden 18. I ran both cabs full range with really very little to no sloppyness usually associated with 18's. Someone told me that the Eden 18 is tighter than the SWR 18 - and I would agree.

Plus, it looks cool to keep it all Eden!

I think there's an Eden 18 for sale at talkbass.

Good luck & Happy Holidays!

3. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    If it were me I'd stick with an all-Eden rig. The 1x18 will add a different texture and dimension than the 1x15, so it's a matter of preference and style. The 1x18 seems to fill rooms better, too.

Wouldn't your D-410XLT look silly precariously perched on top of the Bag End S15-D? :)

4. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Bass-only: Oh now my name is John. :rolleyes: :) Nice endorsement for the 18. Sounds good to me. I would prefer to keep it Eden for bragging rights, but in turn I would also be having an awesome rig. Thanks, dude.

Nightbass: Yeah, the whole Eden vibe goin' on does make it look badass. The 18" is awesome. My only doubts were if the 18 would be able to cope at full-range, which you guys say it does. A 410XLT on a S15-D, heh heh heh heh...:D :p

5. Bass-only

Bass-only Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Cleveland
    "John", "Bohn" - as long as you're a bassplayer - it's all good!

FYI, I now have the 115XLT and while it has some nice bottom - not quite as much as the 18. For what I do, it's fine, plus the with the horn, I can use it (alone). I don't have a 410 (I use a 210XLT), but if they are as awesome as I hear - you'll need the 18 to make enough difference to make another cabinet worth while.

Again - from experience..the Eden 18 is great full range!

Happy Holidays BigJohn (oops!) BigBohn!

Bob

6. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Thanks for your input Bass-only. You seem like you have some experience with these cabinets. Thanks for the insight, and Happy Holidays to you, too!:)

7. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I have the Eden 410xlt and 118xl and they make a great, LOW pair. I run 'em full-range and the sounds is awesome. The 118xl is VERY quick for an 18" speaker. Go try one out!

8. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Cool, basism. Do you think that if I ran a Carvin DCM2000 (2000w@4 ohm bridged), with an Eden D410XLT (8ohm) with the Eden 18, would the 18 be able to take up to atleast 600 or 700 watts? The RMS is 500, but I assume the Eden 18 can take like 1000watts peak or something like that. Thanks for the recommendation, and CHECK YOUR MAILBOX!!!:)

9. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    John, I recommend the Eden D115XL instead of the XLT to go with your D410XLT. You've already got the horn in the 410. The D115XLT is a great box but you can save a little money possibly and get a better match with the XL.

10. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    A 15" rather than an 18"? Why so, boogiebass? I thought that adding a 15 to it would just be almost equivalent to adding another 4x10. I thought the 18" would be different by adding tons of more bass. Please explain your reasoning, if you will.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm biased, but I think the Bag End S15-D is one of the best 15" cabs on the market.

Can you drag your head and Eden cab out to the stores on a weekday and demo them before you decide?

12. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah, that S15-D is a very nice cabinet, I've heard. The thing is I would like to keep it all Eden speakerwise. Not saying that the S15-D is bad, its totally the opposite, but I would prefer keeping it the same brand in cabinets.

And yes, I plan on trying out various cabs with my rig. I'm not going on just word. I'm going to get first hand experience for I make a decision.

13. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    No, man. A 15 sounds different than 4x10's. A lot different. You're gonna need to go listen in person to hear the differences, descriptions won't cut it, I'm afraid. 15's and 18's are, in general, more like each other than 10's. "Tons of more bass" is also a gross over-generalization of what an 18 does. But while we're generalizing, here's a few:

10's=punchy, fast, short throw;
    15's=round, slow, long throw;
    18's=rounder, slower, longer throw.

14. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Good descriptions of each speaker. I know that trying them out is essential, and I will do it very soon. For the stuff I play and where I play, which are in small sized areas, like garages or living rooms, to medium sized arenas. Maybe the 18" will be too much of a thump for where I will be playing at. But anyways, I need to go try them out, you're right!!! :oops: :)

15. Freakapotamus9

Freakapotamus9

Jun 20, 2001
    Nebraska
    another vote for the Eden 118XL